Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Once fired 6.5 brass

Swanny10

If you go on any online sales site you can see that new or used, it is generally cheaper than most other brass.

As others have said, .25-.35 each seems to be the market price for used.

Your original post seemed to be concerned only with the price and whether your friend was offering a good deal.

You didn't say how much brass your buddy was trying to sell or if you have used it before and like it.

I am not a fan because I have found it to be to inconsistent.

Neck thickness variances are generally within the norms I have seen from other manufacturers.

However, If you sort cases by weight, you see that this brass has some pretty profound swings between lightest and heaviest within a given batch.

I have also noticed that the primer pockets seem to open up quickly if you run loads toward the hot side (I said hot, not excessive).

I find that this brass requires more prep work and I cull so much of it that it ends up being no cheaper than premium brass.

On the bench, my loads always seem to be prone to flyers when using it so I simply avoid it.

All that said, in any group of shooters you can find plenty of them that sing the praises of Hornady ammo and brass and get good results with it.

I can't speak to the preferences of others. I can only tell you what I have experienced.

IF you have used it and are okay with it, and can get it at a good price, why not?

Tls

1 hour ago, 38superman said:

If you go on any online sales site you can see that new or used, it is generally cheaper than most other brass.

As others have said, .25-.35 each seems to be the market price for used.

Your original post seemed to be concerned only with the price and whether your friend was offering a good deal.

You didn't say how much brass your buddy was trying to sell or if you have used it before and like it.

I am not a fan because I have found it to be to inconsistent.

Neck thickness variances are generally within the norms I have seen from other manufacturers.

However, If you sort cases by weight, you see that this brass has some pretty profound swings between lightest and heaviest within a given batch.

I have also noticed that the primer pockets seem to open up quickly if you run loads toward the hot side (I said hot, not excessive).

I find that this brass requires more prep work and I cull so much of it that it ends up being no cheaper than premium brass.

On the bench, my loads always seem to be prone to flyers when using it so I simply avoid it.

All that said, in any group of shooters you can find plenty of them that sing the praises of Hornady ammo and brass and get good results with it.

I can't speak to the preferences of others. I can only tell you what I have experienced.

IF you have used it and are okay with it, and can get it at a good price, why not?

Tls

Superman,

thanks for the depth of your response. Regardless if your experiences are unique, it’s good info. 

You're welcome Sir.

I don't want to give you the impression that I'm trying to steer you away from Hornady brass.

Just wanted to share my opinion for whatever value it may hold for you.

I still keep a supply of it in around in .223 and .308 for anytime I want to load mass quantities of ammo for plinking or practice.

I might even load some up for a local match if its a lost brass match and I don't want to leave $1.50 brass lying on the ground.

If its for serious competition. I use the premium and don't worry about the cost, just the score.

Good luck and good shooting.

5 minutes ago, 38superman said:

You're welcome Sir.

I don't want to give you the impression that I'm trying to steer you away from Hornady brass.

Just wanted to share my opinion for whatever value it may hold for you.

I still keep a supply of it in around in .223 and .308 for anytime I want to load mass quantities of ammo for plinking or practice.

I might even load some up for a local match if its a lost brass match and I don't want to leave $1.50 brass lying on the ground.

If its for serious competition. I use the premium and don't worry about the cost, just the score.

Good luck and good shooting.

Since I’m just getting started (haven’t even finished my build yet) I’m sure it will be fine for now. I was mostly concerned with paying some stupid price for it since neither him nor I knew what it was worth. And since 95% of all listings on gunbroker etc never sell I don’t use any prices on there to determine the value of something. But your info will be helpful in the future. 

• 1 month later...

Hornady works, but there are definitely better options out there. I wouldnt paid a penny over $.25 per piece for Hornady though. $.35-$.40 per piece for once fired Prime (Norma) is a MUCH BETTER option if you can find it.

I have a bunch of brass for 6.5 that needs a new home as well. I switched over to Prime brass as I've gotten better over the last 18 months

• 2 years later...