Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What causes very minor punctured primer...3 out of 200..

Adrenaline

Not gonna hurt much if it happens every now and then. 

You have to consider that a soft primer struck with a healthy blow from a striker or firing pin that maybe even has a sharp or high spot can really thin out a spot in the cup that can't quite hold up. It happens. 

Deal with it, change your primer strike, or change your primer.

How did you come up with that OAL? Is it a Gen5 Glock? Generally the only thing that limits a Glocks OAL is the magazine but I've heard (I don't own one) that the new marksman barrels are a little tighter. Did the rounds plunk and spin? If it's not a new Glock what's it's round count?

I'm just spit balling...

Edited by 4n2t0

Your load looks fine. One thing to consider is  Glocks have the "picture window" at the breech face striker protrusion and displaces a lot of primer cup into that window upon firing. Comparably the M&P has the tear drop in the same area. Those bigger recessed areas allow more primer metal to flow and weakens/thins the cup. With a softer federal primer add an overzealous striker spring and that could be all it is. Ive picked up a few pieces of range brass with the signature glock and M&P strike and saw residue in the indent on federal case stamps. I noticed it in my own M&P here and there with federals. With CCI primers it would not happen. I put in a reduced striker spring and it ceased happening on federals and still set all others off. Something to consider. 

If this continues to happen couldnt it cause the breech face/striker to erode? I was thinking and these shells were on their 3rd load. The first loads were 6.6 gr hs6 and the last 2 were hp38 at 4.4 to 4.5 gr all loads were 1.1550 +/- .0020. Maybe the cases were getting tired??

27 minutes ago, Adrenaline said:

If this continues to happen couldnt it cause the breech face/striker to erode? I was thinking and these shells were on their 3rd load. The first loads were 6.6 gr hs6 and the last 2 were hp38 at 4.4 to 4.5 gr all loads were 1.1550 +/- .0020. Maybe the cases were getting tired??

My cases get "tired" when they split.

So much for answering all those questions, lol. I'm done trying, you'll figure it out eventually.

Edited by 4n2t0