Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zeroing sights at the range?

matir

Ok, this is probably a stupid question, but how do you handle zeroing your sights at the range?  I just bought a set of Dawson Precision for my CZ 75 SP-01, and will obviously need to zero for windage at the local range.  However, Dawson recommends putting loctite on the base of the sight, so I need to do that right before zeroing.

Would you just bring the loctite and the sight to the range, apply the loctite, zero, and tighten?  I will be using a nylon punch as I don't have a sight pusher.  Would you zero the sights, mark the sight position, come home, take it apart, apply loctite, then put it back?  I would mark with a silver sharpie that should come off with some rubbing alcohol afterwards.

Is there a better technique I'm not thinking of?

Do a search on Loctite.  They have so many types find one that is anabolic and with a longer cure time.

Sight your gun in at the range, once sighted in, mark your side, remove the sight, apply the slower cured loctite, and sight the gun in again.  Make sure the recoil has not moved the sight position.

A Sharpie would not give me the finest (thinest) line to mark a slide but I am inept often.  My friend Mics the distance of the sight form both sides.  Others find the middle of their slide and use that as a reference point.

IIRC the loctite that is included with most Dawson sights is one of the red flavors, which are high temp and stress, and are hard to remove.  After a long phone call with Loctite, I started using 290, a green wicking threadlocker.  Supposedly it allows you to move the sight even after it has cured and it "re-locks?" and its strength and temp range is above blue.  Sorry but most of this is out of memory, feel free to double check me.  That it is wicking will allow you to set the sight and then apply the locite.   I have used it for many many sights, as I have a sight tool and do most of the sights for shooting friends, with great success, ie. no movement. 

Yeah, the Dawson instructions involve putting 271 across the entire surface.  That doesn't seem easy at the range.  I'm tempted to sight it in, remove the set screw, put the wicking threadlocker in, and then tighten down the set screw.  If it works loose, I'll revisit the issue.

In addition to the process you described, put a line of the 290 on one side of the sight between where the bottom of the sight meets the slide in the cutout, turn the slide so that the side with the loctite is facing straight up and let it work its way under the sight, believe me it works.  That way it accomplishes the same as the Dawson instructions.  It works.

I've been told (don't remember by who/when, long time ago) that the red locktite takes 24 hours to cure completely.  Based on this, I've put red locktite on sights and then zeroed them, moving as needed.  Once a good zero is found, I let 'em sit for 24 hrs and haven't had any move on me afterwards.  YMMV

So I finally got to the range yesterday and mostly got the sights zeroed.  It seemed to be shooting a little low, but unfortunately my groups are so large that I can't be sure.  Looks like I'll need to try a pistol rest or sandbags to really get it dialed in...