Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Ti Cylinder

Randy Lee

Dave, I think Federal American Eagle 9mm ammo would be the best choice for cheapie factory ammo for those who do not want to reload 9mm (including me) in a gun with a way-lightened action.  I think you could also still get an action reasonably light and make it work with Winchester White Box. 

NOW--what is that you're saying about using .38 Super moonclips with 9mm brass?  Are some of you guys running 9mm reloads through your .38 Super 627s or what?

(I know from first-hand experience that doesn't work with factory ammo.....)

I agree Mike, I tried the 9mm in the 38 super clip and,as you said, that dosen't work. I wonder if the clips hold the casing at an odd angle as to jam them in the cylinder. Is there another moonclip available for the 9mm? The 9mm seem to fit in the the charge holes fine.

If the Ti cylinder is made I vote for one to fit the 627-4

Mike and Lefty, I just tried the 9mm winchester white box in the Hearthco 38 super Moonclips and they fit the 38super Cylinder. :) Now once the cylinder is cut for the 9mm all bets would be off. 9mm did not work in the supplied moonclips I got with the revo. :angry: They did work with the very old moonclips I got when Gene built the 8 shot conversions on the old N frames. However when the cylinders were chambered for the 9X23 rounds they became very case sensitive

OK, let's talk about this some more....after trying to use 9mm in my .38 Super 627 (recently acquired from DougC) and not being able to push the moonclips into place properly, I convinced myself it didn't work. Now after reading Bubber's post, I tried it again, finding I had one moonclip that actually worked with the 9mm stuff. All 8 shots even went bang, even though it was WWB and a lightened action. Reloaded the moonclip and it was already starting to get sticky.....

So what's the deal? If I get Hearthco moonclips will my gun work smoothly with 9mm or not? If so, do I need to ask Dave for some sort of special dimension when I order them?

Talk to me.

Mike

Slightly off topic- would you believe a sub 2 lb trigger pull on a Smith 617 .22 lr?

This is also a project in the works.  :D  :blink:

I prefer flutes as well. Cylinder control during opening is more positive, as well as the weight reduction.

Randy let me know how you go with the 617 trigger I may offer my 6 shot as a guinea pig if you need one.

As for flutes in cylinders, I first bought a V-Comp, but then bought the Super, because when I reload (same method as Jerry M) my fingers were just a fly's dick too short to hold the cylinder open when reloading on the V-Comp and the empty's wouldn't clear out of the cylinder, with the unfluted cylinder I can hold the cylinder all the way open and cure this problem, I have dropped my reload from an average of 3 + secs to around 2.2's.

Sometimes it is the small things that make the difference. ;)

Oh ..... and mark me down for one of those cylinders Randy.

I'll file the expense in the "because I want it basket"

Also I must congratulate you on your willingness to experiment with new ideas and the like, it's not like your trying to reinvent the wheel, just make it "spin faster", and your request for feedback from your peers and sharing of ideas puts you in a league of your own.

Job well done. :D

Slightly off topic- would you believe a sub 2 lb trigger pull on a Smith 617 .22 lr?

This is also a project in the works.  :D  :blink:

I prefer flutes as well. Cylinder control during opening is more positive, as well as the weight reduction.

Randy let me know how you go with the 617 trigger I may offer my 6 shot as a guinea pig if you need one.

As for flutes in cylinders, I first bought a V-Comp, but then bought the Super, because when I reload (same method as Jerry M) my fingers were just a fly's dick too short to hold the cylinder open when reloading on the V-Comp and the empty's wouldn't clear out of the cylinder, with the unfluted cylinder I can hold the cylinder all the way open and cure this problem, I have dropped my reload from an average of 3 + secs to around 2.2's.

Sometimes it is the small things that make the difference. ;)

Then we shall make you cylinder flute-free. :D

Oh ..... and mark me down for one of those cylinders Randy.

I'll file the expense in the "because I want it basket"

Also I must congratulate you on your willingness to experiment with new ideas and the like, it's not like your trying to reinvent the wheel, just make it "spin faster", and your request for feedback from your peers and sharing of ideas puts you in a league of your own.

Job well done. :D

Thanks 8shooter!

There is a wealth of experience on this forum. This is where I find the edge of the performance envelope. We competitive shooters push ourselves and our revolvers to the edge. If I can help design products that operate safely beyond the perceived operating edge then I have the satisfaction of knowing that what I do will allow someone to break barriers and establish a new "edge".

That, plus I'm a techno-geek :P

OK, let's talk about this some more....after trying to use 9mm in my .38 Super 627 (recently acquired from DougC) and not being able to push the moonclips into place properly, I convinced myself it didn't work.  Now after reading Bubber's post, I tried it again, finding I had one moonclip that actually worked with the 9mm stuff.  All 8 shots even went bang, even though it was WWB and a lightened action.  Reloaded the moonclip and it was already starting to get sticky..... 

So what's the deal?  If I get Hearthco moonclips will my gun work smoothly with 9mm or not?  If so, do I need to ask Dave for some sort of special dimension when I order them?

Talk to me.

Mike

Not all 9mm ammo is created equal, nor are all S&W 38 super cylinders.

AND....all I said was the 9mm cases snap into the 38 super clips, getting them to

go into a 38 super revo is another thing.

A 38 super case is .384 O.D. where a 9mm case's largest diameter is .391

(according to saami specs) back at the rim. I can see how a 9mm would hang-up

in a super sized chamber, but then there are those nasty tolerances to deal with.

Heck I have a 38/357 627 I can shoot brand new 38 super in :) HAS to be

brand new, once it's fired (even in the revo) reloads are iffy.

The SAAMI specs would lead me to believe that you would not get 9mm's to go into

a 38 super revo reliably, unless you found a brand that made them on the small side.

ps. Saami specs for 38super groove diameter is .347, for the 9mm it's .345. Both

have a .050 rim thickness so headspace should be fine.

So, if you want a dedicated 9mm revolver who's to say you couldn't run a 9mm

chambering reamer down the holes. (didn't Tom K used to do this ??)

If I did it I'd stamp "9mm ONLY" somewhere on the cylinder (folks who know me

would actually see that done with a sharp nail :P )

I wouldn't do it just yet as I have seen first hand that bullet jump is not our friend,

once you ream the cylinder, ya can't go back.

Dave, thanks for the info. It all makes sense....I was afraid I was missing something. I have a .38 Super conversion kit on the way for the SDB, and I got plenty of brass and moonclips with the gun, so I'll just stick with the correct ammo.

Mike

Dave, thanks for the info.  It all makes sense....I was afraid I was missing something.  I have a .38 Super conversion kit on the way for the SDB, and I got plenty of brass and moonclips with the gun, so I'll just stick with the correct ammo.

Mike

I know I'm missing something.....the 60's were good to me :D

...gee, I corresponded with Tom Kilhoffer and Mark Hartshorne about the issue of 9mm/.38 Super in Revos' some time ago...the consensus was that chambering the cylinder for 9x23 Win. would let you use 9x23 Win., 9mm Para AND .38 Super in the SAME cylinder...can't remember if you'd need to use different "Clips". tho'...lotsa' gray hair, you unnerstand....mikey357

Hi Guys,

To many individual comments to respond to so Ill just blurt out what I learned during the fabrication process of the 9 mm cylinder that I made.

I tried to shoot 9mm thru super, and even tried running brass thru super case pro. No go.

We made the cylinder for the 38 super to take advantage of the shorter jump to the forcing cone versus the 38 special.

To get relieable ejection, the chambers were reamed to 9x20 with Randy's 9 mm reamer

WE used 17-4 stainless heat treated to 40 RC. We saw no peening of the c-stop slots

Exit holes were reamed to .356 per Jerry M suggestion. He says its a bad idea to swage the bulllet in the exit hole.

To the contrary, Juan Hernandez of Los Angeles got the best accuracy with .357 lead bulllets He claimed 2 in at 50 yds. I dont recall which barrel he was using at the time.

I know this will fly in the face of all conventional revo accuracy logic, but according to John Nowlin and Erv Stone, the MOST important(tho not the only) componant of accuracy is finding the correct bullet for the particular barrel.

Proto was lost in the mail. Damn!

And I almost forgot, The best moonclip for 9mm or super is .040 thick not .035. The extractor groove on ACP cartridges has a HUGE chamfer that allows a great amount of slop. I couldnt get folks to risk cutting their cylinders to try them.

Dave B)

And I almost forgot, The best moonclip for 9mm or super is .040 thick not .035. The extractor groove on ACP cartridges has a HUGE chamfer that allows a great amount of slop. I couldnt get folks to risk cutting their cylinders to try them.

Dave B)

Glad to see I'm not the only one that thinks that, why S&W made the clip so thin

when you have all that area there is a mystery.

A little off-topic here:

How does Taurus get away with their "Triad" Revolver? 9mm, .38 special and super, and .357 Magnum I have been looking at that revolver for a bit but finally broke down and purchased a 340PD instead, and to my amazement a 9mm round wouldn't go into the cylinder... So is the Taurus cylinder just bored out to accept the different rounds and uses moonclips to aid specific 9mm extraction? I haven't personally seen one of the pistols but I am unsure if they are out yet.

I have been tossing the idea around of getting another cylinder in 9mm for the little 340 as ammo costs would be less and extraction would be a 200% improvement over what it is now in OEM configuration. Reloading .38 special/.357 isn't a problem but since I already have a few 9mm's.... I can't imagine that too many people with these small J-frames would be interested in a Ti 9mm piece, but I am one of them who would be.

A little off-topic here:

How does Taurus get away with their "Triad" Revolver?  9mm, .38 special and super, and .357 Magnum  I have been looking at that revolver for a bit but finally broke down and purchased a 340PD instead, and to my amazement a 9mm round wouldn't go into the cylinder...  So is the Taurus cylinder just bored out to accept the different rounds and uses moonclips to aid specific 9mm extraction?  I haven't personally seen one of the pistols but I am unsure if they are out yet.

I have been tossing the idea around of getting another cylinder in 9mm for the little 340 as ammo costs would be less and extraction would be a 200% improvement over what it is now in OEM configuration.  Reloading .38 special/.357 isn't a problem but since I already have a few 9mm's....  I can't imagine that too many people with these small J-frames would be interested in a Ti 9mm piece, but I am one of them who would be.

Tom Kilhoffer used to take an n-frame 357s and ream them with a 9x23 reamer.

T hat would do the same thing B)