Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice for First Time USPSA Competition

JohnS23

I started a new shooter a couple months ago. He's shooting a block 17 I put him in limited so he wouldnt have to worry about so many mag changes. He can look at the stage and count to 16 instead of 10! 

YouTube the crap out of stages, getting started in uspsa!

Safety is your #1 thing to worry about! Talk to the RO and as many people you can!

ask about gear and one might have some old stuff laying around! Oh yeah one last thing the new shooter I started is 10:)

I started with a Glock 19 shooting production in October of 2016. I showed up with just enough to get me through the stages and no idea how to plan the stage. My hit factors were low and i was really slow. Didnt matter. I had a blast and it got me started. If you plan on sticking with Glocks, get a holster that will accept a G34/35 so all the others like the 17, 19, and 22 will fit in it.  Get magazine pouches that have different inserts like the DAA Racer or taco pouches that are elastic and accept almost anything. It will save you in the long run if you change pistols. Get a connector, comp spring kits, and an over travel stop for your glock. I ran Wolf springs with a 4 lb striker spring and have no issues. If your feeling like you want a enhanced trigger, OC custom triggers makes a production legal awesome trigger with all the parts I listed, shipped for 120$. 10 minutes on YouTube and your on your way. Heads up. This may be the start of your downward spiral into the madness that is USPSA

My favorite and I see it with a lot of new shooters! When working around walls and such you are not a Charlie's angle don't point your gun up to get around an obstacle pull your gun into your chest or stay further away so you can move faster! 

Im guilty of that. When i started, I'd eiter go up or down. Just about DQed on both. The experienced shooters coached me through that.  I also had the problem of cutting corners to close and running into them or having to put my hand up to push off. Just about flagged my hand and got a good talking to.  The point is that during your walk through you should identify a few things: 1. Where are you changing mags and how is you body and gun going to be facing while doing these things. Right handed guys usually shoot left to right because its easier to run that way. Practice how you carry your gun and how you're going to reload it. 2. Identify your stop points to engage maximum targets with limited movement. Less steps taken means more time on trigger and hopefully less time over all. Shifting left or right is faster than stepping.  3. DONT RUN THE GUN DRY! Plan your reloads so you can reload on the move because thats dead time anyway. A flat footed reload will crush your score. Count the rounds and the targets. 4. Unless  you shoot a no shoot dont go back chasing A's. Make up the no shoot and carry on. Don't shoot three targets and go back the first because you can see C or D. This will crush your time and is not worth it. With that said good luch

The number one advice I can give new shooters is pretty much the same advice I was given when I started last year - safety first, safety second, safety third, and completely ignore the timer and score.

Be safe in all movements and be extremely aware of doing things correctly. Keep finger off trigger unless shooting, especially when moving and reloading. Really watch the 180* rule. Listen to any and all range commands. Ask if you have any questions at all about anything.

Do pay attention to what other people are doing, especially the more experienced folks. How they go about their stage planning, how they execute, how they move, how they handle the gun, etc. Ask people questions about gear and take notes. Something I've learned over the past year is that people in this sport are easy to talk to and are willing to help, new shooters especially.

So go, have fun, shoot straight. Be safe.

Most people in this sport are happy to give advice and let you try their gear. One thing I had to work on was slowing down at the end of a run. You are so amped up trying to go fast, but once you are finished you need to take things really slow. You don't have to be fast clearing the gun and putting it in your holster. We had a M class shooter DQ because he was going to fast and dropped his gun before he could make it into his holster.

• 1 month later...
On 3/4/2019 at 12:12 PM, blueorison said:

The #1 thing I communicate to new shooters is the following, 

"There is nobody rushing you. This is your time, breathe, do not feel rushed. Ill be right here; you can stop shooting at any time and turn your head/not your gun and ask me questions. It is just you and me. We are here to have fun!"

It calms them down (and me), quite a bit. I encourage everyone to communicate this to new shooters!

That sure does help a new competitor  

Great advice so far regarding safety being your number one A+ priority.  You need to set your expectations in line with that so you don’t get bummed if you are not in the top 1/3 of the results.

First few matches your goal needs to be JUST finish all stages.  It’s all new to you so don’t get bummed when you forget a hidden target or a lone piece of steel and end up with a couple failure to engage penalties.  As said earlier main thing is slow and steady with focus on muzzle and trigger finger.

If you end up first or in the early group of shooters just ask to go later so you can see others run the stage.  Typically everyone will be eager to help you out and accommodate that request.

Last thing that I have seen a few folks screw up that Rojo mentioned in his post was going cold at the end of a stage.  The timer stops at your last shoot so there is absolutely no reason to rush this process. Keep your muzzle downrange and just talk through the process with the RO if his commands don’t make clear sense to you. 

Enjoy and Good Luck