Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI mags

donno

Just get the newest Gen 2s (there's 2 different Gen 2s) put grams guts in there and you will never have to worry about them. 

Pros, they run perfectly and mbx didn't make you a sucker. 

Cons, none

1 hour ago, louu said:

Just get the newest Gen 2s (there's 2 different Gen 2s) put grams guts in there and you will never have to worry about them. 

Cons, none

I agree, the new sti mags are great. I have 5 of them, 3 in 9mm 2 40. I’ve tried about every basepad and spring combo now too.

For 140mm mags for open you get the 26rds with a grams 11mm and a taran spring and the ultra thin +1 follower. Same guts with a taran 7mm gives you 25. With grams guts and grams 11 you get 24 reloadable, and grams guts and taran 7mm you get reloadable 23, and 24 that’s hard to lock in the gun, but doable. Grams with Dawson 9mm +1 gives you 22. With the SNl it’s 23. 

I’ve settled on taran 7mm with grams guts for my 140s. Grams guts are Ultra reliable and 23-24rds is plenty for a reload. For 170s I have mbx, they came with my gun. 

No reason to bother with the old ones now. The new ones run right out of the box. No tuning needed. 

2 hours ago, louu said:

Cons, none

I've never had STI mags give me a problem in 9, 38 or 40 as long as the springs were good.

I don't take care of them very well either. Seldom clean unless they feel gritty, drop them on concrete floors just about every week at an indoor practice match etc etc.

Get the latest Gen 2's and go for it.

FWIW the mags are the only thing I currently like about STI.  

Hoping they make a come back with Dave Dawson lending some leadership!!!

If you need to tune them ATLAS has a video out on it. I run all gen2 have 3 170s and 3 140 match mags. Have some others for practice/dry fire etc. I run TTI guys and base pads and they work great. If you tune them to ATLAS specs, even the first Gen2 mags run for me anyway 

I run the Gen 2's new and old, Grams guts, TTI bases, they run great after I tuned them with the right numbers! If you run Grams followers/springs make sure you tune them with the correct numbers from Atlas's YouTube videos and they will run great. In their video about tuning the neck the measurements for 9mm are in the comments.