Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Is The Number 1 Malf. With Your Major9 Pistol

Harmon

Venry,

i always like to see new ideas and innovation. i'v got a bucket full of comps that i've made for testing, some good and some not so good but you've always got to look for new and better ways to do things.

Edited by BEDELLCUSTOM

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...interesting stuff.

I think we have gotten off the topic of 'what breaks in a Major 9'...

I'll go thru the thread and see if I can break out the comp talk. It really deserves it's own thread.

[on second thought...there doesn't seem to be a good breaking point to split the thread]

you're right we lost track of the original topic. for the answer to the question about the #1 malfunction in a 9mm, see my first post in this thread and you'll see there really is no point to the question. it's like asking "what's the #1 malfunction in any firearm", take your pick it could be anything given the amount of possibilities there are from the gun itself to what the owner/operator does to or puts in it. :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Various112.jpg

Venry, does the barrel have holes on the sides in the area inside the compensator? Pushing gas into the sides of the compensator ports and then upwards?

The gun looks very interresting!

And what is the diameter of the bbl holes on your older gun (to the right)?

Edited by Ameiza

That is definitely a very interesting comp design. I kinda like that. Though I did find something that works a bit better as far as the recoil impulse goes.

I ronically I actually upped my pf a little bit more and have a better shooting gun.

Various112.jpg

Venry, does the barrel have holes on the sides in the area inside the compensator? Pushing gas into the sides of the compensator ports and then upwards?

Yes, the specific angled bottom/side ports allow the gases to partially expand, and the top specifically shaped ports additionally create a partial venturi effect on those gases. The directional momentum of the gases as they push forward also affect this "conglomerate" of expanding redirected gases which will also impart a buffeting effect in each top baffle. This set-up will maximize the utilization of whatever pressurized gases are availble from the burning powder. This is what I call "hyper-Jet interaction".

The "normal" looking ports (in the conventional comp/barrel) start at around .109" and open up at exit point to around .1250" and they are forward angled.

Kingman Posted Today, 06:05 PM

That is definitely a very interesting comp design. I kinda like that. Though I did find something that works a bit better as far as the recoil impulse goes.

I ronically I actually upped my pf a little bit more and have a better shooting gun.

Bob-

How do you knowYou found something that works a little bit better? So far as I know I have not supplied you with one of my comps for you to test against anything. All designs have their merits. Mine doesn't detract from any other designs as they were developed and realized for a purpose which they "have succeeded" at achieving, and you can't take that fact away, even if you design a "diferent mouse-trap". The "Hyper comp" was specifically designed to use the gases available from set-ups such as the 9mm Major where the "higher pressures/lower gas volumes" are becoming the norm.

But one thing you found out: "...ironically I actually upped my pf a little bit more and have a better shhoting gun..." I totally agree with. By "upping" up your gases volume you made your "standard design comp" work better, since they were "originally designed" for cartridges offering such gases (volume).

I have always been of the "opinion" (IMHO) that to treat the 9mm Major diferent than the .38 Super is a mis-direction, where to treat/handle the 9mm Major as "slightly shorter version" of the .38 Super might get you better results. Hence the trend to load the 9mm Major "long".

Again, we are getting off the "original subject" of this thread. It was not my intention to "hijack it", or for that reason start a "new" thread, as I much rather start such a thread in the future from actual "feedback" from users of the Hyper-Comp, and definetely not just me "blowing my own horn", which I consider in bad taste and tacky. So, if anyone has any questions, please do as others have done and send me an e-mail. I will be glad to discuss it with you at length. Otherwise, let's give it its own time when we have something to go on with. Ok?

I will clarify I do not nor have ever tried a hyper comp. What I was refering to was upping the velocity, volume of gas etc with a comp of my own manufacture.

The idea behind the hyper comp does intrigue me though. It seems that you should be able to direct more gasses similar to a hybricomp setup on the tribrid. Yet you will still get the large baffle to help soften the felt impulse. Because the bbl is closer to the bullet than you could actually cut baffles on a thread on comp it would have to be more efficient.

Great bit of r & d on the design.

Well. I'm perplexed? I'm working on the 9mm major ( and am having mixed results....) found small problems and have corrected them?. The gun is not 100% reliable. Shot 2 stages perfect (same mags) this weekend, then the 3rd stage I had a "jam". The unfired round was partially in the chamber and not held by the extractor(Aftec) while the next round in the mag had jamed in the barell feed ramp holding the slide partially open. I ended up using my fingernail to remove the unfired (partially chambered round which was not deformed and had been guaged) and continued the stage without problems??. The 170 mm mag lips are at .353 rear & .356 front,(SV, no spacers),new Grams spring and follower, Rem 115 rn,fmj bullets @ 1.1155 oal x # 7625 x 7.4 grns. barell is new STI S-2, 8 # spring. I'm wondering if the feed lips(timing issue?) need to be tighter because of the "short" 9mm case?? I had found previously that I had spent shells hitting the C-More Serindipedy and relieved the top right corner of it. (All brass in a neat pile now). I can change the barrel and extractor and shoot .38 S with no similar problems?BTW, gun does not like SPS mags at all. I have tried all different styles/brands/weights/ oal lenghts of ammo. Thanks for some /any input. mike g

Mike-

Where was your match this weekend? I know where I was. I was at the South Florida Sectional / Brian Haas Memorial in Punta Gorda, Florida, for two days of great shooting and ten stages.

You obviously have answered your own question when you indicate that the same gun with a .38 super barrel will work flawlessly.

I would first look at the extractor fitting. Check where it mates with the barrel, and that the cut-out is adequate with no interference or "hit points. Second, check to see that your extractor tunnel is adequately "clean" with no excess burnt powder choking the extractor. And third, if the above is not an issue, check for proper extractor tensioning and "rim spacing". Take notice if the rim is leaving strong brass marks in the inside of the extractor. Aftec warns about modifications to their extractors, but sometimes they are necessary. I know of some people that are able to handle .38 Super and .38 Supercomp, along with a 9mm. barrel change (shooting 9mm of course) retaining the same extractor and ejector with flawles feeding and ejection.

It seems your mal-feeding "live round" jumped off the extractor "hook" very early, and the forward momentum drove it into the chamber. While this happened the upwards pressure in your magazine pushed up a new round which was partially striped off by slide friction into the feed ramp. I've seen this happen a few times before. Once the extractor was fitted corectly the situation was cured. It is important that you check the barrel for extractor "hit marks", and either you relieve the barrel for clearance properly through it's up-down travel cycle or slightly shorten the length of the extractor to accomplish the same. If you do not, the constant hitting of the extractor will deform/damage it.

Lastly, check the firing pin stop for loosenes and back and forth movement at the rear of your slide. When in battery your extractor should not be protuding any more than when open. On slide lock push the extractor in from the breechface and see if it moves back any noticeable amount, then push it back in from the rear of the slide. If you have this situation, you will need to replace your firing pin stop with a new one, probably an "oversized" one (like an EGW) that will eliminate this excess movement and allow your "competition grade" extractor to work properly within it's parameters. Also follow the instructions on your Aftec extractor to relieve the "upper area" of your breechface for correct functioning.

If this doesn't help, contact a good, competent gunsmith to fix it for you. Yes, yes, I understand that IPSC shooters like to be "self reliant". But remember Aftec extractors are not cheap.

Edited by Radical Precision Designs

RPDs.. Thanks, I've contacted you by e-mail about your 6" system BTW... You were 100% correct in your assessment, I had movement in the AFTEC extractor(back and forth), ..so sometimes all was O.K. and sometimes jams.. that is , the extractor was not always in the same place. New oversized EGW firing pin stop on it way from Brownels. (I would never have thought of this). I think 9mm major is the way to go. The STI S-2 setup is working o.k., hopefully my second gun will end up with your set-up on it and become the 1ST. gun! My .38 Super brass was about worn out, and who cares about leaving some 9mm brass on the range/or/at a lost brass match. Maybe there is SOME hope for us "Super Seniors"???? mike g

Edited by mike g

Venry, The front and rear movement of the extractor was something I would have not ever thought about as a intermitent problem? Thanks for your input. Shot our local match this weekend(New Mexico) and NO problems! (gun). It's nice not too be searching for all that brass! After the match I ran all the 9mm major thru the gun I had loaded ...NOT a hicup. BTW, I've loaded & chroned 7625,3n37,WAP,N350, in both 115's and 124's (REM & MT Gold and feel the 7625 powder and 124 RN bullets will be my 1 st. choise for ammo. ( I do think there is slighty less felt recoil with the 115's although) thanks again for the input. mike g

Venry, The front and rear movement of the extractor was something I would have not ever thought about as a intermitent problem? Thanks for your input. Shot our local match this weekend(New Mexico) and NO problems! (gun). It's nice not too be searching for all that brass! After the match I ran all the 9mm major thru the gun I had loaded ...NOT a hicup. BTW, I've loaded & chroned 7625,3n37,WAP,N350, in both 115's and 124's (REM & MT Gold and feel the 7625 powder and 124 RN bullets will be my 1 st. choise for ammo. ( I do think there is slighty less felt recoil with the 115's although) thanks again for the input. mike g

Yes, sometimes is something minimal that sets Aftec extractors to malfunction.

Initially as installed most firing pin stops are undersized to the slot they fit in, but are compensated by the generous cut of the "hook" (extractor) to make up for it. Therefore the slight back and forth motion will not make a difference. That is for a while anyway, as the inside friction/tight fit pretty much holds everything in place for a while. After a while when everything is settled up, play develops and if the "right" tolerences no longer exists where needed, malfunctions begin "for no apparent reason". Unlike regular extractors, the fit of the firing pin stop is of primary importance to 'Aftec's'. Very often "erratic/changing" extraction patterns develop for no apparent reason that can be traced and corrected by eliminating this particular "variable".

Of course you should continue to monitor for burnt powder build up within the twin "springs" inside it too. Good luck.

• 1 month later...