Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Sw In Sti/svi For Ipsc Major

lukipsc

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely softer with the S_I due to the weight up front. I am shootign an SVI nowadays since I had a friend who sold his SVI for a great price with 6 mags. I still keep the BUL as a back up just in case. I did switch this year from a 200 gr jacketed to a 180. There is more snap tot he 180 but I got use to it.

My load is 200gr head, ~1.126 OAL with 3.8 grs VVN310.

Curious about those who load long, to 1.14 and 1.2. Don't you get Jams? I tried a batch with an OAL of 1.14 and had jams all days... ended up reseating the whole batch :) How do you get long loads to work?

Rgds,

i agree with XRe that load looks very dangerous...i've not had much experience with the 40 loads but an OAL of 1.126 and VV N310...dangerous!!! let a 'smith ream ur chamber to accept longer ammos to prevent a disaster. 1.160 would be the border line...just to be safe...my $0.02

I don't think the mainspring has any effect on your ammo's chrono results other then a too light spring would cost a misfire round. I posted my spring setup because I thought you were asking for the spring combo in our guns in your original post. :)

4.6 gr VV N320

180 gr Zero JHP

WSR primers

1-fired Fed. nickel cases

OAL 1.145

ISMI 12.5# cut 4 coils

CP Shock Buff

STI Edge

Hardchrome finish

Is this sfae at 1.145 OAL?

Not sure I understand what would be unsafe about it? Lots of guys using this recipe from 1.125 outto 1.2, and some using more powder than me. I have shot over 20000 of these through this gun, and a few more through my singlestack and revolver.

guys,

how come most of u guys use the 180gr heads? what's wrong with the 200gr?

Nothing wrong with the 200's. The gun just feels a tad bit sluggish. I actually found I tracked the sights better with my 200 gr loads. Unfortunately for me, I've switched to plated loads and don't want to mess with 220gr heads over N320 esp when I'm not the one loading. I'm now using 185's with N320, PF of about 175-178.

everything is dangerous to these guys, i have been loading 5.1 gr. of320 whith a 180gr jhp at 1.125 ovl shot the load over a crony at a average vol of 1000 fps i shoot a glock 35 with barstol bar.

You're right. Shooting gross overcharges just isn't a problem at all. And don't let anyone tell you that shrapnel flies off exploding guns with all the force of a hand grenade. Pure internet rumor... <_<

AndersGun.jpg

Guys, the load data from some of the major players in the game is available somewhere on this forum. 4.6 gr of VVN320 and 180JHP is not an over charge, if anything it is under a little. I know the manual doesn't have this recipe, but plenty of guys used 5.0-5.3 when the PF floor was 180. My 3 rounds from Nats that were chrono'd flew 923, 922, and 917. I get single digit ES and SD with once fired brass. Someone please tell my why this particular recipe is dangerous. About a half dozen of my closest friends will want to know as well since it is their load too.

fomeister, FWIW your load looks perfectly fine to me. :)

oct_97, have you run into problems with a load similar to fomeister's?

Granted a 1.145 load is a bit on the short end of most SxI loads I have read about but at 4.6gr I just don't see a problem with it at all.