Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taccom Extreme 9mm Bolt - Extractor Spring Insert, O-Ring Needed?

2 hours ago, avastcosmicarena said:

I'm having problems with my Taccom Extreme 9mm bolt and my QC10 upper/lower. It extracts just fine, but the bolt gets physically locked in place partially still in the buffer tube and partially in the upper at least once or twice every single time I go to the range. I can't seem to figure out what it's catching on and it only happens every now and then. It happens most often after the last round bolt hold open mechanism locks the bolt back and I go to release it. It gets stuck while flying forward. However, it did actually happen to me once during normal cycling while firing too.

I have to take a flathead screwdriver and pop the takedown pin out, and then it shoots forward as soon as the pin comes out. So, I believe it's catching on something and then tilting vertically and getting stuck on the takedown pin somehow, but I can't seem to figure it out. I also took it to a local gunsmith who wasn't able to figure it out.

I bought the Taccom bolt because the JP 9mm bolt I bought wasn't resetting my AR Gold trigger reliably. The Taccom bolt solved that problem for me, but then introduced this new problem.

Anyone have any ideas? Would really appreciate some help with this. @TRUBL have you heard of this issue before?

Would a short stroke buffer fix this?

3 hours ago, avastcosmicarena said:

Hmm, I don't follow. It's getting locked up on the return after releasing the bolt after lock back. It seems to be some sort of clearance issue somewhere.

I have a Taccom Extreme 9mm bolt and a QC10 upper and lower just like you do...  I have never seen the issue you have...  My bolt is short stroked and does not retract far enough to lock open...  So I can't lock the bolt open and release it.

What I do not have is the last round bolt hold open gizmo...  I took it off after I received my QC10 lower...  I have never shot my AR9 with the last round bolt hold open device installed...  Without seeing your rifle, it seems like the LRBHO bar might be jamming things up...  Popping out the takedown pin relieves the jam and it pops open.

You might take out the LRBHO bar and see if that solves the problem...  If it does, at least you'll know what the problem is.

1 hour ago, RaylanGivens said:

I have a Taccom Extreme 9mm bolt and a QC10 upper and lower just like you do...  I have never seen the issue you have...  My bolt is short stroked and does not retract far enough to lock open...  So I can't lock the bolt open and release it.

What I do not have is the last round bolt hold open gizmo...  I took it off after I received my QC10 lower...  I have never shot my AR9 with the last round bolt hold open device installed...  Without seeing your rifle, it seems like the LRBHO bar might be jamming things up...  Popping out the takedown pin relieves the jam and it pops open.

You might take out the LRBHO bar and see if that solves the problem...  If it does, at least you'll know what the problem is.

Cool, thanks. We're in the same city, by the way! I'm also in Tampa.

As for the ejector, when I took it to the gunsmith to look at, he used a dremel to round the sides of it a bit, thinking that the bolt might be catching on it if they aren't always 100% aligned, but neither of us really thought it was something that would fix it. He just figured it was worth a try. However, I've tested it since then, and that didn't fix the problem.

It probably is something to do with the LRBHO thing then, I guess.

I don't NEED the LRBHO, but I do like having it... I guess, like you say, I can always remove it just to see if the problem goes away & narrow down the cause.

Edited by avastcosmicarena