Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jams

Jake Di Vita

I hate my gun...passionately... <_<

At the MI state match, I had jams on 6 out of 9 stages...really not a good thing when the average hit factor in the match was easily in the 10's and up to 14 - 15. Jams cost me about 13 seconds total...or approximated 150 match points. :(:angry::angry:

And I won't even talk about what the gun did to me at Nats..... :wacko:

jake,

i recently have had some of the same type jams. of course my extractor was fine. upon closer inspection of my gun, i found some gaulling or burrs that have formed around the frame where the guide rod butts up againist the frame. check that out.

lynn

i was having that same issue with my 38 super comp. i noticed after sliding a piece of brass under the the extractor that the supercomp was not moving the extractor at all. so i switched to super (rimmed) and there was enough tension to allow the brass to come out.

so try sliding a 9mm case under the extractor and against the breech face to see of the extractor moves out just a bit. if there isn't any tension then the brass will not eject properly.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble. I can relate.

In the last few years I have had reliability problems with 2 guns. In both cases I gave the gunsmiths more than one chance to fix the problems and tried to self diagnose the issues by double checking ammo, changing ammo, hitting the forums, etc. In both cases the problems hurt me at major matches. Also in both cases the guns were not 100% reliable for over 6 months even with trips to the gunsmiths. I was trying to give the gunsmiths the benefit of the doubt because I had history with them. It didn't occur to me that I might just have a lemon.

My advise to you is to give the gunsmith a chance to fix it. However if the problem isn't resolved quickly then get rid of the gun and get something else!

The reality is that the gun is your problem. It is affecting your performance - not the gunsmith's. You have to trust your gear and the only thing that is going to generate that trust is lots of trouble free practice sessions and matches. Now you are going to be working from a trust deficit so any new gear is going to have to be all that much better.

It can be a hard pill to swallow but I will never keep trying to fix an unreliable gun again. It will either work or I'll be getting rid of it some way some how. The frustration, wasted time, and wasted money (match fees, travel, ammo used testing the gun instead of practicing, etc) just isn't worth it.

Best of luck,

-Vincent