Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

125 gr Blue Bullets Load with Clays?

meeks791

I picked up a used lee single and turret press kit this weekend.  It came with everything to reload besides bullets.  I ordered a pack of the 125 gr round nose Blue Bullets.  The kit I got came with a new bottle of Clays.

I've been looking up loads to try and use what I have to learn on and found a couple different loads...these will be run through a CZ75 clone and Springfield XD

Here are the two loads:

2.9 gr, COL 1.125

3.2 gr, COL 1.10

I've been reading up and want to be on the safe side starting out so wanted to see if everyone would start with the top load?  The top load is from the Hodgdon website and I found the second load on the forum 

3 hours ago, meeks791 said:

I've been reading up and want to be on the safe side starting out so wanted to see if everyone would start with the top load? 

Clays in 9mm is not a great powder to start out with for a new reloader. It is a very fast powder that some folks like Steve RA use with great success and other folks tend to shy away from in 9mm. 

I personally will only use Clays in pistol for 45 minor or 40 minor mouse fart loads, for 9mm the new Sport Pistol powder works very well as do stand by powders like titegroup and etc. 

• 4 months later...

All my Clays experience - and loads shown - are with the Australian version, not with the Canadian.  On the lower left of the label it'll show which version it is.  I've got a lot of the Australian and have never tried the replacement Canadian one.

Hello: Be very careful with straight Clays powder in 9mm. It is a very fast powder and really is a 45acp or 12 gauge powder. I have seen some nasty blowups with clays in 9mm and 40 S&W. There are much better and safer 9mm powders out there. My current 9mm minor powder is Clean Shot. Cheap, available and works well with coated bullets. Thanks, Eric

It is certainly on the fast end of the scale, although not the fastest by any means.  I've never had a problem with it in the 19 years or so I've been using it.  As with any powder you need to watch your reloading process carefully.  It would be difficult to get a double charge in a 9mm, easy in a .45ACP.  Also, if you load abnormally short you want to start lower than normal and work your way up carefully.

http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/BurnRates.pdf

Hello: That chart seems a little out of order on some of the powders. Red Dot is faster than Clays. Clays is a wonderful powder but one I would not use for 9mm. Your results may very but I prefer powders that are a little slower like N320, Tite Group and Clean Shot for my minor loads. Thanks, Eric