Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio and .147g 9mm Black Bullets?

1eyedfatman

Anybody run 147g 9mm Black Bullets out of their Tanfo's?  What do you think?  Any issues with buildup inside the barrel?  I have been running .147g Xtreme and I'm happy with them but I think I could save a little switching.  I have run Molly coated type bullets Bayou and Cimeron before in my Glock 34 KKM barrel days.  I do think the Xtremes have been better on the  reloading.  If you have loaded the .147g 9mm Blacks with Titegroup what was  your powder measure?

Titegroup and coated leave your gun filthy, but runs great and is cheap.

You’ll wind up at 3.0-3.2gr titegroup with whatever length plunks & spins in your barrel.

A coated bullet that measures .356” is going to need to be seated very short to feed in a Tanfo. I highly recommend getting your barrel throated with a finishing reamer designed for polygonally-rifled barrels, so you can run any bullet profile out to 1.150+” that you want. PatriotDefense can do that, and so can I for that matter.

9mm cases are thin at the mouth for .300” of depth. Deeper than that the walls grow thicker, so seating a long 147gr bullet down to an oal in the neighborhood of 1.090” - 1.100” can result in the walls bulging and your most work brass failing to case gauge. Either ream the chamber to load longer, or switch to a lighter (shorter) 124gr bullet.

Memphis.  I will get my stock2 barrel reemed at PD like my Lim Pros.  I do prefer the .147g that i’ve been shooting for years.  Given that what do u recommend, staying with Xtreme or trying out theBlacks?  I believe my Xtremes OAL are currently in the low 1.120s.

Edited by 1eyedfatman

1 hour ago, 1eyedfatman said:

Memphis.  I will get my stock2 barrel reemed at PD like my Lim Pros.  I do prefer the .147g that i’ve been shooting for years.  Given that what do u recommend, staying with Xtreme or trying out theBlacks?  I believe my Xtremes OAL are currently in the low 1.120s.

Extreme bullets are overpriced for what you get; they’re very lcose in cost to the bulk price for the muh higher quality Precision Delta jacketed round!

I like the feel of a 124 through a Tanfo much more than a 147 but that is a subjective thing.

BBIs run great with a reamed tanfo barrel; if you weren’t going to ream it I’d have suggested a .355 coated bullet like the Blue bullets.

For an alterantive in plated? Everglades are extrmely high quality and I currently run those in 124... coated isn’t an option for the PCC’s comp.

Rocky Mountain Reloading’s bullets are getting good reviews on here.

If price is the key factor? Blue and ACME are cheapest in bulk, unless you have a local hookup. The CEO of Black Bullets lives here in town, so I get a discount because he doesn’t spend a dime to ship and they’re right down there with Blue bullets.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I ran 5000 of the acme 145 grain round nose this year. They were very consistent.  i ran 3.3 - 3.4 gr of tight group.  chrono'ed 137 at section.

Discount code "54730" will knock off 10% on all but the biggest volume

4 hours ago, 1eyedfatman said:

Anybody run 147g 9mm Black Bullets out of their Tanfo's?  What do you think?  Any issues with buildup inside the barrel?  I have been running .147g Xtreme and I'm happy with them but I think I could save a little switching.  I have run Molly coated type bullets Bayou and Cimeron before in my Glock 34 KKM barrel days.  I do think the Xtremes have been better on the  reloading.  If you have loaded the .147g 9mm Blacks with Titegroup what was  your powder measure?

I'm running 147gr LiMo from Precision Bullets in my Limited Pro. No issues with any buildup. Cleaning couldn't be easier and takes no more than 25 minutes!

I'm seeing that Everglades is $1 more than Xtreme for .147g RN plated .356 diameter bullets per 1000 but Everglades shows free shipping so there is some savings.  I usually jump on an Xtreme sale so that usually makes up for some shipping.  Does Everglades offer specials also?

Coated bullets are not a good idea for PCC rifle barrels?  I do play PCC every once in a while as a sideline fun distraction.

3 hours ago, 1eyedfatman said:

Coated bullets are not a good idea for PCC rifle barrels?  I do play PCC every once in a while as a sideline fun distraction. 

Coated are great for PCC.  as long as you keep speeds under 1600fps. (Some say 2000 with newer coatings!).

36 minutes ago, johnbu said:

Coated are great for PCC.  as long as you keep speeds under 1600fps. (Some say 2000 with newer coatings!).

Flat out wrong.

Come chisel the coating out of my comp, and I do literally mean chisel, next time.

I always rolled my eyes at the Open princesses who shoot JHPs presumably because they’re too lazy to clean. Except it’s not merely “cleaning.”

I gave up hammering the concrete of welded-on hi-tek coating out of the thing with a chisel, and just ground it out with a carbide burr in my dremel.

Even FMJ’s exposed base still leads your comp. Mine only gets plated bullets (cheap, no exposed lead and no coating) now.

After 1,500 rounds all of this came out of a little old 9mm compensator! 

Edited by MemphisMechanic