Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hi-Power in competition?

lfine

I know this is a strange one but I have a 1970c BHP in great, original shape (not the best sights, but so what) that I love to use. Hate just seeing it sit there and mags hold 13 rounds. Anyone ever compete with one? I know I wouldn't be breaking any records but I think it would be fun and I have the mags. Just curious if anyone else has ever tried this.  

Thanks. Pretty photo to follow.

My son-in-law just scored one of these. I researched for him and the answer was probably not. Not on the list, so can't shoot production. 9mm 13 rounds is a definite liability in Limited Minor but if you insisted that's where you'd have to be. The big no no was the mag safety. You can't put the hammer down for the ICHDH command unless you put in an empty mag and that would make most RO's very nervous...

Great gun though and glad to get a chance to shoot it.

I see the point about limited minor. Funny but I'm so used to putting the hammer down on my Shadow2 that I should have thought that through.  Well, like I said, I didn't think I would set any records but it would be fun. And no, I'm not afraid of it getting some scratches and dents from use. God knows I have...

We have a local shooter who uses a HiPower for some of the IDPA and outlaw matches in the area. For hammer down, he's able to reach his middle finger up the mag well to activate the disconnect manually (so no empty magazine required) - you might test and see if you are able to accomplish the same.

Maybe its time for a stock competition - pre-70's come as you are shoot straight stock competition as long as you make a power factor. You'd have P-1s/P-38s vs BHPs vs 1911s... Not the most sensible but would be a lot of fun to watch. Call it Battle of the Battle Guns

I'll have to look into the disconnect idea. Sounds interesting. Thanks.

I wouldn't see a problem with you putting in an empty mag to hammer down, don't see why it would be an issue.  I always thought Hi powers should have been allowed in Single stack and single stack be called classic. Not classic like ISPC though

I started, out 30 years ago, with a BHP that I purchased new in 1963 - 

It was great, shooting my old favorite gun - against 1911's in .45 and then .38 super.

Never competitive, due to the terrible trigger and shooting minor in Limited, but I was

never going to be winning matches anyway - so I had a ball with it.  (The RO's HATED

the mag safety - got all sorts of abuse over that).

When it got to about 6,000 rounds of factory ammo it stopped being 100%, when the

extractor went - and then I found out that the guns from the 60's had an internal extractor

which was decades out of date and almost unavailable.   I managed to locate one, but

didn't want to replace it every 6,000 rounds - so I switched over to a 1911 .45.

But, found some extra $$$$ about 15 years ago, and bought a new (external extractor)

BHP in 9mm, and had EGW do a COMPLETE customization on it - Bomars, magwell,

great trigger, BarSto, accuracy job, beavertail.   Beauty, and I did shoot it a few times,

with 15-round MecGar mags,  in Limited a number of times.

BUT, by that time, I bought a TruBor Open Gun in 9mm Major - and the new BHP is

still sitting in my gun safe :( 

Every once in a while, I take it out and enjoy shooting, the old fashioned way   :)    

Your biggest problems with your old, original BHP will be 

1.  trigger is terrible until you get to about 4,000 rounds, then it gets real nice - but, by then you might need a new extractor

2.  mag safety (remove that and the trigger will improve)

3.  shooting Minor in Limited

4.  your extractor will need to be replaced after c. 5 - 6,000 rounds - good luck with that.

5.  lack of beavertail means bleeding after every match

6.  tiny sights will slow you down

7.  15 round mags is big disadvantage in Limited (actually, with 8 shot neutral matches, it's only slightly better than a 10 round mag)

8.  despite being a double stack mag, it's slow to reload length-wise, without a mag well.

If you put hi-vis sights on it, and remove the mag safety, and use 15-round mags, it can be fun (bring bandaids), but start lining up

a new extractor, now.  Oh, and replace the grips with Pachmayers rubber grips - big improvement   :) 

Have fun with it    :) 

BHP.jpg

Thanks. Already had the mag safety seem to disappear and trigger is good.  Lack of beavertail doesn't seem to bother me (not a spur hammer). But agree on the sights and the extractor issue.  Would definitely just be for occasional fun and not a regular thing. Don't believe in babying it but don't want to destroy it, either.  Thanks for the advice.  

But maybe I'll try your mods to a used one if I pick one up just for that purpose.  Guys at BHSpringSolution have some good stuff to play with, too.