Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting with family

I haven’t shot a match in a LONG time. Like 8 months long. I have been shooting several times but have not shot in an actual match. When I could go, it’s raining bad or the match got canceled for some reason. I was so excused yesterday to go to a match this morning in Jackson, Tn. About a 2 hour drive for me. Was up late putting all my gear together and double checking my list. As I’m loading some guns in bags, my 8 year old says “Oh Dad!!! Can I go to the range with you?? I want to shoot my .22 pistol and rifle!!” My first thought and what I told him was “ no son. Dads shooting a match and you can’t go buddy”. He didn’t get an attitude or anything. Just said oh okay and walked off. This ate at me for the next hour while I was up. I decided last night that I was skipping the match and taking my son to the outdoor range and having a father-son shooting day! I still have this little bit of “ughhh” in the back of my head even though I know it’s selfishness and really wanting to shoot the 3 gun match today but I’m sure I did the right thing. Anyone else have kids that love going? Did I do the right thing? I feel certain I did but would like others opinions. Like I said, he’s my oldest and with two below him, one on one time gets hard so I know I’ll never regret time with him. Just wanted to ask my fellow shooting community opinion! Off to the range!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You certainly did the right thing!

Nothing beats the time spent with your family. I’m still trying to catch up on that after retiring from military service. Deployments takes a lot of toll on family. 

For me, shooting with the family is priceless. My wife  takes a day off from her work just to go with me to the shooting range. She even tells me which gun she wants to shoot. Last Monday when we went to the range, she told me she wants to shoot the czechmate because it has the cmore dot on it. She had fun knocking down the steel plates. She even told me to videotape her so she can show it to her friends ?It was a nice “date “ for us. After we were done, we stop by at our favorite restaurant and had lunch.

The range I go to allows free shooting for wives and under 18 kids of members. I also take my 11 year old daughter to shoot plate racks using my sbr .22 conversion. She likes hearing the sound of the bullets hitting the plate racks.  She always have fun being in the range.

4 hours ago, mattmann said:

Anyone else have kids that love going? Did I do the right thing?  

My father took me shooting his Remington 521 .22 target rifle when I was eight years old.

I still remember it,  to this day,  66 years later.     :cheers:

Thanks guys for the responses. We just got home and cleaned everything and man we had a blast. He did incredible and was super responsible and mature. I absolutely have no regrets and feel bad for letting my inner selfishness flare up. Lord willing there will be plenty more matches in my future but no telling how long he will actually WANT to hang out with dad. I loved it and pray for many more opportunities just like it!! Happy Saturday everyone!

My Grandfather and I did a lot of shooting when I was a boy, Later my Father and I went to the range together most of the time and shot matches together. When he got glaucoma and couldn't shoot anymore, I lost a lot of my interest in it for a while. Now he's gone and I want to get back to competing but my job prevents it. So when I get a chance I go shoot with my Son and I feel better about it. And right now, I'm just hoping I live long enough to teach my Grandson how to shoot.

It was the right thing to do.  I take my kids shooting when ever I can.  My 14 year old shoots matches with me and my 10 year old is getting close to shooting matches.  Our time shooting at the range together is priceless.

Putting your kids first is something they will remember for a long time!

Great job Dad!

Great.     [emoji4]

Next time, try  reactive  targets   …..   :surprise:

Someone broke the plate rack but there was some plates on stands he got to shoot off and he loved it. Of course running my m2 would knock everything over and his .22 was just making noise so he asked to shoot my Dvc 3 gun. I only loaded one round at a time and let him shoot that too. He had a blast!