Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buffer Springs (again) Flat wire vs round wire and 223 vs 308

I know that buffer springs has been talked about A LOT.

My question is actually 3.

1) 223 vs 308. I currently use a 308 JP spring in my PCC on a Blitzkrieg buffer. I was at the range today testing the gun and my loads after some squib issues and noticed that the dot was moving a ton more than I remember it moving when I first put in the JP 308 spring. Now granted, the round count from when the spring was first put in the gun to today is over 5000 or more rounds and I would not be surprised if there was some fatigue and the OAL of the spring was shorter. 

I shot a buddies pcc and he is using a 223 spring in his buffer tube and the same buffer. The gun was much flatter than mine. HMMMM?

2) Tubbs / Stirke Industries Flat wire buffer spring vs normal round wire spring? 

I watched some videos about the difference in compression and release from a compressed position. It looks like there is some merit to going to a flat spring over a round spring. I was also seeing that they say the flat springs put more energy sending the bolt back to battery. Would that energy release cause MORE dot movement or less? If the buffer spring is being compressed less and the energy is more stable on release moving forward wouldn't that make for a flatter running gun?

3) 223 / carbine flat wire or round wire? OR 308 / AR10 round wire or flat wire spring?

I am interested in reading the post responses on each of these questions.

Blitzkrieg buffer , JP 308 carbine sprind , and duralon spacer,  the rest is is your load ,  fast powder vs a slower powder , bullet wieght , and so on.   there is no perfect combo that everyone can shoot.  that is the fun of it ,  Alsoo how much your gun wieghs overall,   keep trying but only change one thing at a time til you get the feel you like. 

Edited by dukhunt

I have a cut down flat wire spring in my 223 and it definitely cuts down on the downward bounce as it closes. Going to try playing around with it in my PCC after Mission 22 3 gun this weekend. Till then the PCC gets put on hold.

Currently running the TACCOM 3 stage short stroke kit. Still working on getting a little more out of that system. Maybe try different internal springs. I run factory ammo so I have to get every bit I can from the system.

Hello: I noticed that the flat wire spring makes more noise than a round wire spring. I think it is from more friction in the buffer tube. You may want to try a JP 308 rifle spring in your carbine buffer. A little shorter stroke but it still will lock back when empty. Different PCC's will shoot different depending on the bolt weight and the weight of the upper and where the weight is. Your PCC is pretty light on the front where his may not be? Thanks, Eric