Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gritty take up

p7fl

3 years ago I went from 1911s to Glocks. One part I’ve really enjoyed is tinkering with gun rather than begging and waiting on good smiths.

I have a few 19s Gen 4. The issue I am running into is a very mild but gritty take up before the break on two of them. Two are perfect, two gritty. Breaks are great, reset is fine. All else is good.

Have been thru a bunch of different springs. Been thru switching parts back and forth between guns.

So the question is what am I not understanding? On the take up what part would cause the gritty take up.

TIA

jon

Take a good look at your trigger spring and make sure that you put them in the right orientation.  I put one in backwards and it flipped to one side on the front hole and was dragging badly and had similar symptoms as you.  Do your triggers on the two with issues go all the way back forward when released?  

Other than the spring in wrong what is more prevalent is the firing pin safety shark fin rubbing under the slide or the firing pin safety its self, the side of the trigger bar rubbing the frame or between the frame and the connector. Also you have a bump on the shark fin that rubs the slide , there may be some rough areas here that need polishing  as the bump puts some good tension on the trigger bar holding it in alignment.You may need to do some polishing in these areas to smooth things out.

The trigger on my gen 4 g19 is just terrible. It was made even worse with a zev v4 race connector. They really screwed up on the gen 4 triggers. Gen 3 was much better. I just did the polish job, and a spring kit. Stock connector cause as I said the after market one I bought was worse. It’s ok now,  definitely shootable. If you ever want a really nice trigger, about as close to a 1911 as you can get with a Glock look into johnny custom glocks triggers. I been running his on my g34 for about a year. It’s still no 1911, but it’s as close as it will get. No take up, crisp break and minimal over travel and short reset. And all 3 safety’s still work, which you don’t always get with the different kits. And it breaks at 2.5lbs. It’s a really nice trigger. I’m about to have him build me another but with a rolling break this time instead of a definied wall like a 1911. 

Edited by Jfitz427