Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ESP question

rowdyb

Can you cut a hole in a slide for lightening and be ESP legal? As an example, building a G17 for ESP and cutting a hole in the top of the slide (albeit smaller) similar to that found on the G34. Can you cut a hole all the way through a slide for lightening and be ESP legal?

I take 8.2.2.2 part Z where it says "other machining" to mean yes.

I'm not sure about that Rowdy.  Look at this.  Taken from here.  http://www.idpa.tech/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/20172-to-20173-Change-Log-.pdf

Change Log IDPA Rulebook 2017.2 to 2017.3 1/1/2018 Errata Date Rule Number Change Change 1/1/2018 8.1.7 E Add With respect to slide machining, SSP, ESP, CCP, CDP and BUG, Original Firearm Manufacturer (OFM) firearms with extensive slide machining are approved for use in IDPA if they meet all other requirements for their respective Divisions. For slide machining, an OFM product is defined as a complete firearm product, with specific model part numbers or SKUs catalogued as stock items by the manufacturer and have a minimum annual production of 2,000 units for that specific model. Discontinued models must have had a total production of 20,000 units for a specific model. 1/1/2018 8.2.2.3 A Removed Removal of material from the exterior of the slide other than front cocking serrations, tri-top, engraving, carry melts, and high power cuts. 1/1/2018 8.2.3.3 A Removed Removal of material from the exterior of the slide other than front cocking serrations, tri-top, engraving, carry melts, and high power cuts. 1/1/2018 8.8.4 Edit Police and military personnel using the Duty Gear Exemption with a firearm mounted light may not activate the mounted light, and are otherwise subject to the same hand held flashlight usage rules as other competitors. See rule 3.710 1/1/2018 8.2.2.2 Z Edit Slide checkering, serrating, engraving, and other machining. Slides with front cocking serrations, tri-top, carry melts, and high power cuts. 1/1/2018 8.2.3.2 Z Edit Slide checkering, serrating, engraving, and other machining. Slides with front cocking serrations, tri-top, carry melts, and high power cuts.

Edited by RePete

• 2 weeks later...

I posted the same question (to no response so far):

- As far as I can tell, slide lightening cuts are now legal? 8.1.7.E makes a provision for factory machined slides. I don't see anything in 8.1.8 that forbids them, and 8.2.2.2.Z (ESP) and 8.2.3.2.Z (CDP) both allow for "Slide checkering, serrating, engraving, and other machining". I assume this covers slide windows and the like?

• 2 weeks later...

I HAVE AN ANSWER!

I emailed IDPA directly asking if lightening cuts are allowed in ESP and CDP. I also asked if full length dust covers are allowed now. This was the response:

“There is no longer a rule forbidding slide machining or full length dust covers.

Robert Ray”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/18/2018 at 2:57 PM, matteekay said:

I posted the same question (to no response so far):

- As far as I can tell, slide lightening cuts are now legal? 8.1.7.E makes a provision for factory machined slides. I don't see anything in 8.1.8 that forbids them, and 8.2.2.2.Z (ESP) and 8.2.3.2.Z (CDP) both allow for "Slide checkering, serrating, engraving, and other machining". I assume this covers slide windows and the like?

That basically covered it right there.