Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Okay, people complain about not enough shooting sports articles in the popular gun press. This month I've got a piece on the Factory Nationals in Dillon's Blue Press and one on the three new USPSA division (Limited-10, Production, Revolver) in Gun World. Has anyone read these articles? What did you think? Good? Bad? Feedback from my readers means a lot to me.

[sHAMLESS PLUG MODE ON]

Stay tuned for the BIG article on the Factory Gun Nationals, in two months in Gun World.

[sPM OFF]

I feel the same way about the Blue Press article. I shoot the same Open gun I did in 1995 til today, and have only "bought" my wins with hard work, practice and effort.

I do appreciate your effort and dedication to help promote the sport and shooting in general. Please try to not take this honest feedback offensive. The rest of the article was well written. Congrats on being published again.

Good article Duane,  I agree with shred though ,anyone out there who can sell me my next open division win ? To think i wasted all this time buying bullets and practicing. This stereotype offends me. Since only 4 people have won the nationals in the last ten years i guess Todd,Rob,Jerry and Matt are all guilty of "buying" their wins.

James Ong

DT -

I understand why you made your statement - it's a common misperception that you were addressing with limited space.  But, look at Robbie's scores (Just an example, b/c I saw this in the Area 1 scores for last year and was blown away by it).  He's thrashing most of the Open shooters with his Limited blaster.  Almost invariably, Robbie's Limited score would put him near the top of Open.  Does this mean the Open shooters should "buy" their way to victory with a box-stock singlestack?

I'm not intending to put you down in any way by this.  I thought your articles were great.  I just think that sour grapes are still getting in the way of recognizing talent, practice, dedication, and the smarts to put it all together.

E

Quote: from shred on 11:35 am on Nov. 21, 2002

In the Blue Press article I was a little irritated with the "you can't just buy a win anymore" tone.. Like that's _ever_ been possible at the top levels.

The rest was good.

- Roy

(Edited by shred at 11:36 am on Nov. 21, 2002)

I don't speak for Duane, but I think he was referencing to the days when there were no divisions, all equipment types competed with each other, and it was possible to buy the latest and greatest gadgets (red dots and comps in those days) to shoot better scores.

I saw it as a nostalgic look back in IPSC history, but I could be wrong.

No sour grapes here, but a conscious, sneaky attempt to lure more people into shooting USPSA. There are many people out there, who've never shot a match, who say to themselves [insert irritating voiceover whine], "It's just not faiiiiiiir, they've got all those expensive, tricked-out raceguns." Take away that excuse and they might actually find the balls to go out and fire a USPSA/IPSC match. Sorry if I offended anyone with my comment in the article.

Having Huevos Grandes has nothing to do with your X/Y chromosomes, but has to do with your internal character makeup. :)

I have struggled for years trying to get more people involved with IPSC. Here's my take on it. It takes a certain type person to shoot competition because we are doer's not watchers. A great majority of the people in the country are watchers. It is not a team sport so you don't have your buddies to "cover" for your mistake. I have personally known many hundreds of people try this and quit. SO WHAT! Sorry that's the competitor in me.

Is there a pool of 100,000 possible more shooters out there? YES, if we attract them. But remember its their job to want to return, practice, and shoot well or do whatever floats their boat. Some people never get good at anything. They are the ones that just complain about the rules, equipment race, "favoritism" whatever. I call them losers and have no desire to waste time with them, much less invite them to a match. These type of magazine articles are a good start. As a side I think USPSA should fund some sort of starter or seed program. I know they have the tape and brochures but maybe "The Department of New Membership" ok now I sound like a politician but one person could drive this forward. Look at the Junior program that Bill Salberg drives and promotes. If he was not the leader, I don't think it would be as big.

Ask a friend to go shooting.

PS Duane no offense taken here.

yes i DO keep to southern climes. I LOVE AZ. i came to phoenix in october of 1999 on a 3 month travel nurse contract and never left.  if Rio Salado is not ipsc/uspsa/practical shooter heaven, well i don't know what is. you can shoot steel every tuesday night, plus EVERY month we have 3 uspsa matches, a rifle/shotgun match, a single stack match, a 22 practical match, an ICORE match, an IDPA match, and i probably missed something. this in addition to a 300yd public range with over 20 shaded benches, a 22 rifle range, 22 silhouette range, 500 meter silhouette range, 500yd high power range and a field archery range.

if t that is not enough for you, across town at the Ben Avery range (nee: Black Canyon) we have the home of the Cactus Combat Match League. there you can shoot paper/steel every thursday evening, and each month, a uspsa match, an IDPA  match, an ICORE match, plus a 200 yd public range, various shotgun sports, and all the other rifle games previously mentioned.

i AM in heaven

Sharon Anne L 2387

Speaking of balls....

"Re: Replacement of Mouse Balls.

If a mouse fails to operate or should it perform erratically, it may need a ball replacement.  Mouse balls are now available as FRU (Field Replacement Units).

Because of the delicate nature of this procedure, replacement of mouse balls should only be attempted by properly trained personnel.

Before proceeding, determine the type of mouse balls by examining the underside of the mouse. Domestic balls will be larger and harder than foreign balls. Ball removal procedures differ depending upon the manufacturer of the mouse.

Foreign balls can be replaced using the pop off method. Domestic balls are replaced by using the twist off method. Mouse balls are not usually static sensitive. However, excessive handling can result in sudden discharge.

Upon completion of ball replacement, the mouse may be used immediately.

It is recommended that each person have a pair of spare balls for maintaining optimum customer satisfaction.

Any customer missing his balls should contact the local personnel in charge of removing and replacing these necessary items. Please keep in mind that a customer without properly working balls is an unhappy customer."