Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another trigger thread

So I have read through a bunch of information on here in the last couple of days, and thanks to all who have shared their experiences on this topic. It looks like the are tons of options for AR triggers but many are not suitable for use in PCCs or some at least depending on your particular setup. I am putting together a pretty basic PCC to give it a try before sinking a boat load of cash into it and trying to figure out which trigger to use. It seems that the Hiperfire 24c or competition is very popular and seems to work for most, I am also interested in the JP Enterprises EZ Trigger System with Armageddon Gear Revolution Roller Trigger. The price point is about the same between the 2 and I am just wondering what the downside to either of these would be. I would like to hear from some folks with a good number of rounds down range using these triggers to get an idea of longevity.

I just pulled my new Hiperfire 24 3G/Reflex out and replaced with a JP. I don't have the EZ I have the regular JP adjustable and not the Armagedon as I like curved triggers. I run the JP in my 3 Gun rifle so they feel the same.  As far as the mechanics go the Hiperfire has just a touch of creep and a longer reset.  The JP has a solid wall and breaks like glass.  The Hyperfire is a nice trigger butt the JP is much nicer in my opinion.

I had a Hiperfire 24 3g in my PCC for about 1,200 rounds, but recently replaced it with a Timney.  With the Hiperfire, I broke a KVP firing pin at about 1,000 rounds.  Additionally, I found that once the 24 3g got slightly dirty (~150 rounds), I had to slow down slightly to avoid beating the reset.  Every single match I ran it in, I'd have 1 or 2 occurrences of hammer down on a live round towards the end of the match.

2 hours ago, biggulp said:

I had a Hiperfire 24 3g in my PCC for about 1,200 rounds, but recently replaced it with a Timney.  With the Hiperfire, I broke a KVP firing pin at about 1,000 rounds.  Additionally, I found that once the 24 3g got slightly dirty (~150 rounds), I had to slow down slightly to avoid beating the reset.  Every single match I ran it in, I'd have 1 or 2 occurrences of hammer down on a live round towards the end of the match.

That is the issue I was having. Good to know the cause. PCC gets really dirty quickly. Going to run the JP for a while and see what happens. Plus now my teammate and I are now running identical setups in case one of ours goes down.

6 hours ago, SWprotected said:

Wow, I did not know that it was that much of an issue. What kind of loads are you running, I have a friend who does not seem to have issues with the 24C. I would assume different ammo would matter.

I run Federal ammo.

Interesting. I have a 24 3g (not the competition, but same thing w/ curved trigger). and have yet to have the issue. That said, I clean it out and re-lube the return rod/springs between every match. I also find it to have almost zero creep, but the reset does sometimes feel a bit 'slow' although it doesn't seem to effect my splits. 

6 hours ago, SWprotected said:

Are you running the whole JP package or JP trigger and mil spec hammer?

Whole package with Speed Hammer on both.  Everyone I know that tried it with the mil spec hammer ordered the speed hammer right after.  I know triggers are subjective but I have yet to find one I like better.  The only one I have found that is close is the Timney Calvin Elite.  My teammate has one and it fells like nearly the same break/reset but at a substantial cost increase.  He runs it in a 223 he has a JP in his PCC. 

Thanks for the information, I may order the EZ with the roller trigger just because I am used to a flat trigger on my pistols. I did order a 24c to try and if it doesn't work in my PCC I have a rifle that needs an upgrade. I just want something I am confident will work even if its not the lightest pull.

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:22 AM, SWprotected said:

Wow, I did not know that it was that much of an issue. What kind of loads are you running, I have a friend who does not seem to have issues with the 24C. I would assume different ammo would matter.

I run MagTech 124 factory ammo through my PCC, it's definitely on the dirty side.  When I pulled the 24 3g out to replace it, I found significant "sludge" under the toggle frame.  With the Timney and other drop ins, there's no where for the gunk to hide.  On the plus side, having the spare 24 3g meant I just had to build a 3gun AR :) 

Has anyone used any of the Davidson defense triggers available from delta tactical? They have great reviews on their site but they’re all in standard 223 guns. I was wondering if these would work in a 9. I may have to be the test dummy that tries one. I’m not looking for a spectacular trigger just something over mil spec for a decent price. 

https://www.deltateamtactical.com/Davidson-Defense-Premium-AR-15-M4-30-lb-Drop-In-Ultra-Match-Trigger-System-Black_p_4779.html