Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot My First Open Division Match

Harmon

shot my first open match today at my hometown club..hot, but really fun.

got to the range to finish setting up...got it all done and found out it was ten till start time and i forgot my belt, holster and mag pouches at the house :o

well, i waited till another shooter finished and borrowed his CR speed belt, holster and mag pouches...not what i was used to practicing with, but i made it work.

when your just using the dot to tell you how fast to go, its amazing how fast you can shoot!! and even more amazing, is all the shots are on paper.

heres a link to the results...for those who were patrons of the short bus during school, my real name is Harmon Greer ;)match results, open division

I cant wait till next weekend...i have lots of practice to do! B)

"short school bus". :D Love it.

Yeah, welcome to the dark side! I started last fall. It's really great for the aging eyes! You will find your self taking shots quickly that you may have avoided with iron sights. Keep up the good work!

Later,

Chuck

PS: I am pretty much a C shooter but with open I hope to change that this year. For example, the scores below were on a stage with 9 paper targets arranged from 3 to about 18 yards. There were some no-shoots thrown in. You started standing by a table, loaded gun on the table.

Targetmasters/Gopher Flats/SWPL

Match Date: 6/26/05

Stage: 2 Stage 2

Place Name No. Class Division Pts Pen Time Hit Fact Stg Pts Stg %

1 Butler, Taran 4 GM Open 87 0 4.45 19.5506 90.0000 100.00%

2 S, Chuck 3 C Open 88 0 5.89 14.9406 68.7781 76.42%

the stand and shoot stuff is pretty easy. Now I have to get to work on all the other stuff that goes in to a stage with movement.

travis tomaise was right, you really dont have to practice open to be good at it! Limited is the one that requires LOTS of practice!

i was warned about having trouble finding the dot, and stuff like that...the first time i drew the gun from the holster, there it was...reload, there it was...like the sights on my limited gun.

i feel that the guys who have trouble finding the dot also have trouble firing an accurate first shot with irons...

doesnt help that you have to hold the gun in a different spot either...

gonna shoot this gun for a year or so then have a major 9mm gun built, probably a 5.0 or 5.5 inch gun, 3 port hybrid barrel...on a STI frame.

after shooting my gun vs others(including short guns) i dont believe the uber short open guns are the way to go..not for me anyway.

A slight drift... read TT's comments on Max's forum. I take it to mean that he doesn't do anything special for the Open gun over what he does for Limited. Steve Anderson asked "What do you do to stay proficient with both guns?" - in that context, TT seems to be saying that he doesn't do anything special over and above what he already does ... which is lots and lots of practice ... :)

ie, if you practice w/ your Limited gun, it will keep you proficient w/ your Open gun. It goes both ways, of course - but I can definitely see what Travis is getting at... The dot doesn't require the rigorous attention to sights that irons seem to require...

Alright, as a low C Limited shooter, I'd like to put this info to good use.

BTW, I didn't see Harmon shoot Sunday, but I heard him. For a minute I wondered if there were some Class 3 shooters out at the range!

Let's see if I have this right: Shooting Open lets you call your shots and see some trigger control errors by tracking the dot through the shot and recovery. Shooting Limited forces you to work on sight alignment. And I'd hazard a guess that shooting L-10 would give you lots of practice reloading. Revo would give you even more practice reloading (albeit a different kind of reloading) and practice with a longer, harder trigger.

I wonder if I should concentrate on one gun, one class until I move up in the ranks, or if I could dabble in several divisions and benefit from the variety of experiences.

I wonder if I should concentrate on one gun, one class until I move up in the ranks, or if I could dabble in several divisions and benefit from the variety of experiences.

My experience?? If I had a Limited gun (or L-10), and an Open gun?? I'd shoot both. I've learned different things from both. Irons are (currently) teaching me visual patience in a way the dot never did. The dot taught me that the sights don't have to stop and stay steady before you can break a shot, and that you can confirm a sight picture and break a shot without the gun ever seeming to stop - and that on harder shots, you need to see more to confirm the shot.

L-10 is like Limited with more reloads and less creativity.

Shooting Open lets you not worry about aligning the sights and focus on all the other aspects of your game...which is where the game is won.

Bingo, we have a winner. To a lesser degree, shooting a 10 round magazine will also force a shooter to become more proficient off the trigger.

My first love has always been iron sights, but as a person's vision fails a dot will enable them to shoot without constantly fighting the sights and vision troubles. I would imagine we will see more shooters going to open as our population ages.

Open is pretty easy on the ego for shooters who don't eat, drink, and breath the game. It's nice to have a decent time and no more Delta, Mike, no-shoot, or cries for "white tape". However, Open is easier for everyone to shoot to and at the higher levels the competition is pretty stiff. Where this really shows up is in speed shoots and man vs. man (ok person vs. person) shoot offs. For instance, you can look at a hypothetical stage result at the club level and see there is only a second and a quarter difference and a few points on say an 18 round standards between an A class shooter and a Master. Put those same people in a shoot off shoulder to shoulder and what didn't appear on paper to be a huge difference translates into half a plate rack and the stop popper. :lol:

Yeah...T and I had this discussion before...

When you get to that level....a gun is a gun. It doesn't matter if it is Open, Limited, Production, whatever. You will still have the same proficiency.

Im a good A in limited and Limited 10...havent shot production in a spell now, but im sure i would be an A there if i shot it again.

my classifier came in at 76.xxxx percent...

A class Open division....one day! ;)