Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel Nut

My Taccom barrel nut is pretty much done.   Anyone know if there a better replacement nut that the CF tube would work with?   I'd prefer not to use the Taccom one again.

I've had to remove it 2 or 3 times and reinstall for various reasons, and you can only do it so many times before the edges roll significantly.  This would be my third one if I order a new one.  I'd actually be fine with just tossing them every so often if they weren't $25.

I love the CF guard, but the mounting screw backs out a bit, and then guard slips, and then the screw hole in CF grows, and a seemingly unwinnable battle begins to keep it snug.  My plan tonight was to remove the nut and drill and tap additional screws, but I soon realized the nut isn't coming off without ruining it.

The carbon fiber tube they use is a common I.D. with other carbon handguards, so perhaps a barrel nut from another supplier would be a better long term fit. Keep in mind though, that the Taccom nut is very light so it may be hard finding something in the same weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

I have a Taccom CF handguard, too...  It helps to put a bit of Loctite 243 on the screw...

There's another similar carbon fiber tube with four screws holding the tube on... 

That's what I did.  Loctite has kept it secure.

Try Calling Tim  @ Taccom and see what he recommends.

Edited by stick

I added a second screw at one point.  I am going to go to 4 screws.  Tap them as 8-32. I am sure this will solve the issue.

However, as I said, I need a barrel nut because once I remove this one I am fairly certain it's done.  Every removal results in a few rolled edges.  After a few removals you are pretty much out of luck.  KVP doesn't sell their nut independently.  I'd actually be fine with a steel nut.  I don't care about the weight so much.  I just can't seem to locate one that looks like it would work.

3 hours ago, longbeard said:

I added a second screw at one point.  I am going to go to 4 screws.  Tap them as 8-32. I am sure this will solve the issue.

However, as I said, I need a barrel nut because once I remove this one I am fairly certain it's done.  Every removal results in a few rolled edges.  After a few removals you are pretty much out of luck.  KVP doesn't sell their nut independently.  I'd actually be fine with a steel nut.  I don't care about the weight so much.  I just can't seem to locate one that looks like it would work.

Also, the barrel nut sold by Taccom with their handguards comes with a screw hole in the barrel nut, but the barrel nut alone doesn't.

The KVP version has four screws...  The handguard in their video looks like it has some kind  small rail attachment on the end of it...  Not sure if that's the way it comes or something the owner added...  Also has an aluminum barrel nut, but about $40 more.

Anybody tried one of the KVP handguards?

Edited by RaylanGivens

Spend the extra and run the hyperlight Brigand Arms one. In love with mine.

Yeah it’s $300, but the thing weighs an honest 4.66oz on my scale with barrel nut.

The hanguard threads onto the O.D. of the barrel nut with a bombproof mounting system which is secured with a jam nut. No concerns about it coming loose at all.

Edited by MemphisMechanic