Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can't Make Ammo Fast Enough!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I finally got a chance to do a "real run" of 1,000 rounds today. Very nice!!!

My run rate is about 800 rounds per hour at a real-life pace (I even got a phone call in the middle from my wife!). Total time to load 1,000 rounds was 1 hour and 12 minutes, but I was at 800 rounds just before the 1 hour mark. I hit 500 rounds at 36 minutes, which I just now realized is exactly at the half-way point! Ha! Didn't notice that before!

First up, I loaded 10 primer tubes (1,000 primers), which took me 13 minutes and 20 seconds at my normal pace, so if you add that back into the time equation, it gets me closer to a total time of 1:25.

Not bad, but not good enough honestly, plus, my shoulder was starting to squawk at about 500-600 rounds or so. I need to automate!!!

Regarding the Mr. Bullet Feeder: I had 4 bullets load upside down, and 5 cases that did not get a bullet, so basically that is 9 "failures" our of 1,000, or about 1% failure. Not sure if this is normal or if I need to spend some time adjusting things a bit. I guess the better way to look at it is that I had a 99% success rate, right??? 

Any suggestions on how to minimize the issues?

So back to the automation need...

I honestly think I need to automate someday. 1:30 to get 1,000 is not bad, but like I said, my shoulder was screaming at me about half way through the 1,000 rounds and I started switching back and forth between my left hand and my right hand. For the last 100, I was holding onto the handle with both hands... hilarious! 

I am not sure that the 1050 is the answer. Maybe, but I think I need to bite the bullet (someday) and get the Evolution with the drive system. Turn it on and let it run (under adult supervision of course!).

For now however, I have definitely increased my throughput significantly, and this was really the whole point. I am very happy overall (although a little sore in the shoulder), and I can recommend the MBF wholeheartedly. A great product and a great upgrade to my 650.

Now excuse while I go dream about my new Evolution!

The bullet feeder can be adjusted to the point you rarely get anf failures. Theres is two points to adjust on the case feeder itself to prevent the flipped bullets. I can help more if you want but there is also videos that explain it on the company site, though they tend to overly complicate it. As for the missed drop that is either the die needs to be adjusted down a little further or you happened to short stroke it on the press

Just something id suggest to consider for the future is the rf100 primer filler. Its really a boost to production time if you consider that time its taking you to prefill those primer tubes. 

There is something called the Dilon PRESS MONITOR that you can search on youtube. Its basically an expensive round counter but it puts multiple sensors on different stations, keeps round count, tells ya if you skip a step, do anything out of order, including not priming or if you short stroke anything. The round counter itself also displays rounds per hour and other statistics. Anyway ya sound like someone thats putting thought into your production time and its output. Thought it might interest you.

Im usually doing smaller test loads so its not too often i get to check a full 1k run but my last results was that i was running at 1,200 rounds per hour but w stops i ended at 1,000. This included filling primers as i went and i felt i could increase my rate in the future but like you i still had a few things that needed to be adjusted better before i get to that point.

Mathematically i see 1,500 - 1,800 rounds per hour as achievable. If everything is running smooth it should only take 1 - 1.3 seconds per round. The stoppages is really the defining factor. For me right now just stopping for 30-60 seconds every hundred rounds to refill the primer tube is the biggest slowdown 

Also i don't know how many cases your able to fill in your case feeder but most seem to have a problem with not adjusting theirs correctly and can only put a couple hundred in at a time. After ajusting mine properly i can get 700-1000 9mm in at a time. Though i usually keep it to 500 each for both the case and bullet feeder. 

On 7/29/2018 at 12:48 PM, PhillySoldier said:

The bullet feeder can be adjusted to the point you rarely get anf failures. Theres is two points to adjust on the case feeder itself to prevent the flipped bullets. I can help more if you want but there is also videos that explain it on the company site, though they tend to overly complicate it. As for the missed drop that is either the die needs to be adjusted down a little further or you happened to short stroke it on the press

Just something id suggest to consider for the future is the rf100 primer filler. Its really a boost to production time if you consider that time its taking you to prefill those primer tubes. 

Thank for that. I have watched the videos and will do some adjustments to get the flipped bullets problem rectified. Thanks for the advice on the missed drops, I will take a closer look at that as well.

I actually do have the Vibra-Prime, which I know is not a nice as the RF100, but it beats the heck out of hunting and pecking by hand.

On 7/29/2018 at 1:07 PM, PhillySoldier said:

There is something called the Dilon PRESS MONITOR that you can search on youtube. 

Looks cool, but probably not my cup of tea.

On 7/29/2018 at 1:07 PM, PhillySoldier said:

Also i don't know how many cases your able to fill in your case feeder but most seem to have a problem with not adjusting theirs correctly and can only put a couple hundred in at a time. After ajusting mine properly i can get 700-1000 9mm in at a time. Though i usually keep it to 500 each for both the case and bullet feeder. 

What???? Seriously??? I probably load 100-200 at a time. So what is the trick to loading it that full? That sounds awesome...

11 hours ago, Doublehelix said:

What???? Seriously??? I probably load 100-200 at a time. So what is the trick to loading it that full? That sounds awesome...

I previously had the same problem w the case feeder and could only get 100-200 cases in at a time. After a lot of internet surfing on the subject I found a reference in a much older case feeder manual that mentioned that the clutch should be adjusted to 5 lbs. I got out a gauged inch/pounds torque wrench I have and tightened it to exactly 5 inch / lbs and that seems to be the magical spot and works great. I can hold the plate down w my finger and cause the clutch to slip like its supposed too so its not over tightened but it does hold much much more now

I may of over exaggerated saying it will run w 1k rounds though. I actually tried that last night w a new 1k bag of brass. It runs w 1k but is very sluggish and slow. I couldve swore I ran w 1k previously. Perhaps I need to re-torque it. I did just run dirty brass through it last weekend so it may also just need a good cleaning. It definitely have ran at 700 previously without any problems - I remember weighing  them all out for that test. As I said previously though; I usually put 500 in at a time though just so its even w what I put in the bullet feeder

On 7/28/2018 at 8:27 PM, Doublehelix said:

I honestly think I need to automate someday. 1:30 to get 1,000 is not bad, but like I said, my shoulder was screaming at me about half way through the 1,000 rounds and I started switching back and forth between my left hand and my right hand. For the last 100, I was holding onto the handle with both hands... hilarious! 

Leave the press set up when you finish. Just stop pulling the handle in the ‘’middle” of a session, and make that the end.

Come back the next day, quickly check your component levels, be very diligent in seeing proper powder charge in those first few rounds, and load 30 to 50 rounds.

Shoot for  3 to 5 minutes of handle pulling. Every day, load a couple dozen rounds.

You’ll have a healthy stash of loaded ammo onhand at all times. Just load often. Hell, I’ve done 40 rounds between brushing my teeth and going to bed a few times.

I moved my press inside for this reason. It was much harder to make myself load when I had to go out in the garage. It’s in the guest room closet now.

Edited by MemphisMechanic