Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much will I save by reloading?

Hi,

I'm not sure where this fits, and I assume the moderator will move the correct forum.

I've recently started shooting my .45, (instead of my G19), and I'm finding I'm spending a small fortune on bullets. About $180 shipped (S&B, or PMC or some other FMJ 230 grainer).

*Ouch* I can pick up a case of Wolf 9mm for ~85 at a gun show. This is a big difference.

How much can I expect to save if I start reloading my own? I realize there's probably a ~$1000 outlay (I'm assuming a Dillon 650 & various goodies, primers, powder etc.) and time is money...

I've held off on getting into reloading because my time is pretty limited, and I don't really have a kid friendly place to setup a workbench... but I can see if I want to get serious about pistol shooting, I'm going to have to do something to get the costs down.

thanks in advance,

Regards,

Francis

Oh man a tough question I also asked, and technically you could save some cash I load 1000 .45's for between $60.00 and $75.00 depending on the bullet used.  I am a vacuum at the range and no .45 goes safely from me.  However, I'm certainly not "saving" any money, just shooting more.

reloading certainly saves money, but the real advantage is that you can shoot the loads that are the most reliable and accurate for your gun.

even if you go low budget, say a Square Deal or 550 (from http://www.brianenos.com of course) you will pay your self back quick. And the gun will run better to boot.

Francis, you will save very much if you reload .45. 9mm you can pick up for the same price as the loose components, but the advantage here is you can make a custom load for YOUR gun.

On .45 you will save AT LEAST half the money (or shoot twice as much), so a square deal for instance will pay for itself in the first 3000 rounds you load with it.

Go for it. You'll be glad you did.

The Square Deal B is a very good and inexpensive press.  I have made thousands of .45's and 9mm's on one and wouldn't have parted with it if I didn't need to get a press that would make .223 ammo.  And the other guys are right, you will be able to make ammo for less but you will probably feel like shooting more.  So you won't really be saving money but you will be able to get a lot more practice in for the same money.

-jhgtyre

Good moral here:  price the ammo before you buy the gun.  I found I could get good .40 SW 180-grain FMJ for $122/case reloaded by Home Ammo Direct.  If I couldn't find any below $180/case, I probably wouldn't have bought the gun (but then I am shooting about 20k rounds per year right now, so ammo cost is important to me)

• 7 months later...

Mr. Moderator...please delete Tuner's posts.  

I am deathly afraid the spousal unit will see these posts and she won't let me buy a bigger Dillon so I can save more money by reloading more/faster.  Since I won't save more money I won't be able to get a new blaster.

Oh my...

Francis, also check out the thread about starting up reloading currently running over in the loads/reloading section of the forums.

Cheers!

Kevin