Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 38 short colt Revo:929 or 627 PC?

Makicjf

I'm looking to relegate my 627 pro I'm currently shooting to a backup roll. It has been phenomenal, reliable and plenty accurate with 38 short colt cases.  

I want a longer barrel, and the 929 I had and ( foolishly) sold felt quicker on the trigger and shots I called marginal where usually an A.  I'm well set with moon clips, and *- 38 SC brass.  My reading appears to indicate that the 38 SC will work well in the 929 ( then resize with a 9mm die).  I like the longer barrel and TI cylinder. Also the bullet will have no jump to the throat.  I do have some concern that the first firing in the 929 may result in sticky extraction as the brass over expands.  

The 627 has an 1.5 inches less barrel, but my 4 inch pro does well.  Though a small item, the sights are easier to change on the 627  5 inch.

What do ya'll think is the best course to chart?  More specifically, will (should) 38 SC work well in a 929 without insurmountable inherent issues?

Jason

I shoot with 2 people that do shoot short colts in their 929's, and they don't have any issues. You will have to resize them if you ever want to use them in your 627 though.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I think, but not absolutely certain, that by the time you get a new 929 competition ready you will have $1500.00 to $1700.00 more or less into the gun so what is another couple hundred dollars for 9mm moon clips? Assuming you want to use your short colts to avoid having to buy all new moons?

I have 1000 38 sc loaded and strung up on moonclips ready to "roll".  I want a longer barrel than the 4 inch I'm shooting now, but do not want to start over with clips, brass, loads etc. Yes, I'm geared up for 38 sc, so it makes sense.  Though, the more I think about and the more I remember the issues I've had with both 929's I've owned, the more I'm leaning towards a 627 5 inch.  If that's the case, I'll need to decide if the inch of barrel is worth the $300 price difference over a 627 pro.  Mine has been great, with nothing more than a hammer bob, a trigger slick up, an estneded cylinder release, an apex extended pin and a spring change...  I wish I could buy all three! ;)

Jason

Edited by Makicjf

4 minutes ago, firewood said:

I think, but not absolutely certain, that by the time you get a new 929 competition ready you will have $1500.00 to $1700.00 more or less into the gun so what is another couple hundred dollars for 9mm moon clips? Assuming you want to use your short colts to avoid having to buy all new moons?

yep, you hit the nail on the head... so in under the light of investigation a 929 doesn't make sense for me!

Thanks guys!

Jason

6 minutes ago, Makicjf said:

I have 1000 38 sc loaded and strung up on moonclips ready to "roll".  I want a longer barrel than the 4 inch I'm shooting now, but do not want to start over with clips, brass, loads etc. Yes, I'm geared up for 38 sc, so it makes sense.  Though, the more I think about and the more I remember the issues I've had with both 929's I've owned, the more I'm leaning towards a 627 5 inch.  If that's the case, I'll need to decide if the inch of barrel is worth the $300 price difference over a 627 pro.  Mine has been great, with nothing more than a hammer bob, a trigger slick up, an estneded cylinder release, an apex extended pin and a spring change...  I wish I could buy all three! ;)

Jason

If you want to wait until the winter/fall, I can probably sell you a 929 barrel...

A 929 can use .040 thick moonclips and a 627 uses .025 moonclips. If comparing same material moonclip for example Stainless to Stainless the .040 are a lot stronger and less likely to bend during use.