Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Road to USPSA nationals!

USPSA_Spiderman

So interwebs I'm on my way to USPSA Nationals to shoot production A class in Oct 2018.  I envision this thread to be my journal of the training and other stuff that goes with it.  

I've never been to a match bigger than the state championship before. And I've only been to one state championship.

Stay tuned for daily progress!

Johnathon (Spiderman) Parker

YouTube link:
m.youtube.com/my_videos?disable_polymer=true&csn=w0c_W6erHYWBwQHtrJVo

Instagram handle
UspsaSpiderman

Edited by USPSA_Spiderman
Addition

Update.  Worked on refinement and repetition first 12 drills moving took an hour to do each at 4 minutes a piece.  Focus was to observe the sights and call acceptable or not on each shot after the run. 

Tip of the day.

Experiment with how much and where you use your grip enhancer.  Check out my Instagram page for pics of how I run mine and why.  I learned some time ago more was not faster.  

Edited by USPSA_Spiderman
Addition

1 hour ago, USPSA_Spiderman said:

Public service announcement:

How to / not to turn and draw

Correct:
https://youtu.be/8snqkBBiPWE

Incorrect:
https://youtu.be/aFcf3hVXb78

Those are backwards? Unless there is the occasional odd first target way over to your left it is always faster to turn into the gun instead of away from it

5 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Those are backwards? Unless there is the occasional odd first target way over to your left it is always faster to turn into the gun instead of away from it

Your right I named them wrong on youtube..  fixing them now.  That's what I get for using my phone to upload stuff!  Ha

Sarge is right

correct is wrong

in correct is Right..

that is my way, the way I was taught and it works much better.

but then there is the occasional guy that does it and likes it.

Edited by EEH

Tip for the day.  Get a weighted blue gun.  Yes its $50 if your not running a glock 19 but what is training at lunch or everytime you walk by your cpu worth?  I did metronome drills for three weeks and increased my transitions by HUGE GAINS!  Try it and report back.  

Worked on match mode (MM) df this morning, 45 minutes.  Did mini stages and reloads after movement as it's an OFI  (opportunity for improvement) of mine. Reading the same book tonight and reloading ammo for LF tomorrow.  Plan to run mini stages in LF and call acceptable or not on each shot on every target after each run. Have to stay in MM and observe sights not aim.  Another OFI is seeing what I need to see sooner. I'll try to get some video and some tips for you guys.

Parker out.

Too many places to post.  I've been dryfiring and plan to LF tonight.   Last week LF i worked a cool drill setup.  

Try setting up a mini stage with mix of close and dist targets with some movement.  Next put shot up targets on the fronts and clean ones on the back.  

Goal: shoot the stage and only leave acceptable shots on each target at match pace.  At end of run call each target before walking around looking at it. 

Trains match mode vision and shot calling.

Try it out and report back.  This was the closest to match vision and pressure I've been able to replicate in training.

PARKER 

Couple runs at the end of LF practice last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oz6lAcezCc

Interestingly I was working 16 yard transitions and doubles drills at 10+ yards before this and the video shows run 1,2 and 3 (slide lock). Drill was a fun way to leave the range key was to be relaxed.

Instagram:

USPSAspiderman

BOOKFACE:

USPSAspiderman

Crazy day.  

Up at 0500 dry fire train speed mode for 36 minutes refinement and repetition drills.

Step in movement on each

Pars:

.6 free style draw

.6 surrender draw

.6 turn and draw (no movement just reg draw)

.6 Burkett drill

2.5 6 reload 6

2.5 6 reload 6 surrender start

2.5 el pres (no movement just reg draw)

Lunch 15 minutes of match mode drills.

Get a blue gun people, train at lunch.  I work in a cube farm and still get some movement.  

Evening:

Match mode drills on target arrays 20 minutes.  Insanity workout for 40 minutes.

Yesterday:  live fired head boxes at 5 yards.   Every time you get 2 hits move back 5 yards.  Previous best was 30 yards.   New record is 35 yards! Goal is 50 yards. Every time you get a miss start over at 5 yards.

Next set of drills was move into position from 6 yards out and fire two shots on a half hard cover target at 13 yards.  Best time to first shot was 2.81.  Best total run was 3.1.  Coolest part was shot calling was the best I've ever done.  The distance precision work at the start showed me exactly what I needed to see and then I was able to work on what I could get away with.  Cool stuff give it a try.

By any chance have you checked out Steven Andersons book Get to Work? I just ordered it. After following your forum posts here it makes me wonder if this book wouldnt help you on your journey.

Also, thanks for the youtube video's on the fault lines.... I'm going to make some for myself.

1 hour ago, shakin_bakin said:

By any chance have you checked out Steven Andersons book Get to Work? I just ordered it. After following your forum posts here it makes me wonder if this book wouldnt help you on your journey.

Also, thanks for the youtube video's on the fault lines.... I'm going to make some for myself.

I have all of Steve's books and credit them for going from low B class to top of A class (.05%) off master in a winter of dry firing. Check out all the books and podcast.  

Also stay tuned for some more helpful range tips and target builds I got some stuff in the works. Always remember to have a plan before going to the range.

Plan the work, and work the plan!

Went to range last night and live fired. Lots of MM and never ran the same drill / run twice. Want to work on bringing average points up to 90 95%. Currently running 80 to 90%. Didn't help that I had a friend at the range and I likely was not completely in MM. Speed mode creeps in.  I like the speed...