Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA Racemaster/Alpha X Questions

Adamj

Issue 1:

I originally had a trr8 sitting in my alpha x and it didn't feel like it needed support, but now I have aheavier 627 and I want to install the revolver muzzle support. When I screw in the muzzle support to the holster it locks up the holster.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Issue 2:

My trr8 had a very tight fit, but since I only used it for steel challenge I would lightly set it in the holster just enough to hold it there and then draw easily. I now want to shoot USPSA and the heavier 627 falls deeper into the holster and gets wedged so now I think I need to widen the holster so that it will fit without forcing it. Even after watching Saul's videos I'm still slightly confused on where to take away material. 

Do you guys have any advice on where to remove material?

Just how loosely does your revolver sit in the holster?

My Race Master binds if I twist it at all during the draw. It's better if you clean/lubricate it with Armor All. Armor All is a water based silicone product, so it works well for this.

That said, coming back to my revolver after a year with a production gun I'm considering going back to Kydex. The Race Master is not helping my draw time or consistency. I can grab the gun much more aggressively in Kydex.

In my experience with the DAA Alpha X, for the N Frame magnetic insert you will need to do some fitting for the width of the trigger guard, the radius/thickness of the trigger guard where it locks (up front), and clearance for the trigger (depending on your trigger width).  I set my inserts up outside of the holster body, ie: holding just the delrin bits in my hands.  It seems much easier to see what geometry needs adjusted this way.  I do put the steel pins back into the insert when I get close to make sure it's good.  There should be little to no drag on the insert when it's fitted.  The gun should drop in under it's own weight and lock.  

In talking to folks, I think a lot of people just adjust for the trigger guard width, but nothing else.  I exclusively use .400" wide triggers and there's significant interference between the sliding lock widget and the blade of the trigger.  

The TRR8 trigger guard seems much wider than the stainless N frames (such as 929, 627, or 625).  I have a separate insert set up just for the TRR8.  I don't see the need for the support rod when it's properly fit.  There's minimal play even with a comically long gun like the 929.  

According to DAA you should tune the width on the side of the insert with the lock lever.  It's awful thin there for the N frame inserts, so I just took an equal amount off both sides.  

Edited by Justin M

We ditched the muzzle supports, they are just a headache.

Mine was a perfect fit but my wife had to remove material to get her gun to fit and my gun won’t fit in hers (???) They are both 929’s.

It didn’t help we were both new to race holsters, that’s what the store had when she bought our rigs.  I do like them and bought a Alpha-X for my IPSC gun.  Just waiting for the STI insert.

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 2:39 PM, Justin M said:

..........................The TRR8 trigger guard seems much wider than the stainless N frames (such as 929, 627, or 625).  I have a separate insert set up just for the TRR8.  I don't see the need for the support rod when it's properly fit.  There's minimal play even with a comically long gun like the 929...…………………

Lots to agree with here^^^^

I was going to post a similar message but while I have been using a Race Master/929 combo for 2 years I still don't feel comfortable making recommendations to others, still a piker I am. I don't use the muzzle support either but always without exception flip the locking lever to make sure the gun is secure in the holster before letting go. Side note, if you forget to flip the lever back down before drawing be advised a super atomic weggie is in your immediate future, LOL! I didn't trim the insert but it took a while to get the holster to work the way I wanted. I have two 929s, one of them fits slightly better into the holster than the other, why I don't know. A spray of silicone one in a while helps but attracts dirt. Check the cap screws for tightness once in a while, I carry spare screws in my range bag, take a guess why?