Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Vs 40mm

cep

I am primarily interested in becoming a proficient shooter for self defense purposes. However, I am becoming addicted to shooting for the sheer joy of hitting the mark. I am studying Brian's book and reading this forum.

My question: presently I shooting a Glock 23 (40 cal). Would I realize a great gain in accuracy if I changed to the Glock 19 with a 3.5lb trigger? As, you might infer the local gun store has a used Glock with such a triger.

I am asking that you assume every other factor(my skill set) is the same. We are isolating the equation to the difference between 9 and 40 in a Glock and the lighter trigger. BTW, I shoot a single action auto such as a ParaOrd or Colt more accurately than the Glock and a D/A revolver even less accurately.

Hope my question is unambiguous.

Hey Cep

The reasons I got into practical pistol were to learn how to protect my family better and for the fellowship. I've met a great bunch of guys in the process that have taught me a great deal about shooting a pistol. By putting rounds down range I became better at shooting and more confident about my families safety.

As far as the new gun goes, sometimes a guy just needs a new toy.

There is probably more than a little truth to the new toy part.  Another part might be the emotion of " can't I just buy more accuracy... rather than all this practice. :D

You can buy more accuracy. It requires an investment in ammunition, and given that 9mm is cheaper than .40S&W, that's what I'd recommend. However, since you already own a G23, it might payoff more to just use what you have and save the money to buy ammo.

the G17 would be a better gun to shoot both IPSC/IDPA and still its not too big to be a daily carry gun...or a house gun.

if you can get a good deal on the 19 by all means buy it

you cant have too many guns and ive never heard of a glock being a bad investment...more likely than not if you needed the money...youll get it back out of a glock faster than anything else.

my 2centavos

You can upgrade your current gun's trigger easily enough if you would like a better trigger on it. Here is a link for your consideration: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...topic=25729&hl=

On the 9 vs the 40. I'm cheap by nature and I just bought 2000 rounds of 115 grain 9mm Blazer ammo for $209 delivered from Natchez to my door. At these prices I don't reload 9mm and just focus on shooting. Consider what you pay for 40 ammo you can justify the new gun with ammo savings right? Wrong - you'll just shoot more for the same money and get better faster.

I second the G17 or a G34 for gun games. Keep your 40 for the serious stuff when you need something just a little smaller. If you can conceal a full size 1911 you can conceal a G34 no matter what anyone says.

Rick

I'd go with a G17, which can be bought very inexpensive used, or if you think you're going to get serious about the games then I'd buy a G34. With a G17/34 you can compete in USPSA Production and/or IDPA SSP and be much more competitive than you would be with the G23.

There is a perceptible difference in recoil between factory 9mm and factory .40, and this difference will have more of a detrimental effect on a new shooter than on an experienced competitor. I had a friend, completely new to shooting, who I told to buy a G17 to learn with, but since the FBI used a .40 glock, he bought a G23. He found it uncomfortable, and quit shooting altogether. Oh well. There is no advantage - in fact a distinct disadvantage for those who do not reload - in the .40 over the 9mm for production or ssp. Also, whether you reload or not, 9mm is cheaper to shoot and easier to improve your skills with.

If you want a slightly improved trigger - in either model - I would switch to a 3.5# connector and do the $.25 trigger job. You can put one in any glock, and they cost about $15 and a little elbow-grease. Or, for $50 more, you can go with one of Ralph Sotelo's trigger kits, in which case you will notice a HUGE improvement over the stock trigger.

I used to compete with a G17, and then bought a G34. I am small - 5'8", 135# - and I ccw the G17. I believe that the 9mm full-size glocks are the best guns for competing in production/ssp and, if you are going to shoot the glock platform, the G17/34 are the best models for improving your shooting skills. If I were you, I'd buy a G34 for practice/games/home, and keep your G23 for ccw. Cheers,

-joker22

I recently resumed shooting USPSA after a 10 year hiatus. I started out in production with a G-17 9mm stock sights stock 5.5 lb trigger. I recently bought a G-24 with dawson sights and a 3.5 lb trigger. I can't tell a bit of difference in my performance whether I shoot the 9mm minor, .40 minor (140 PF) or .40 major (169 PF). Once you get yourself timed to the gun it just doesn't make near as much difference as "seeing" the sights and making smooth transitions. If I could only have one it would be the 9mm so I can afford not to pull on the loader handle. That said I hated going to the match with all my friends and being scored "minor" when they are shooting major. That's my opinion for what it's worth. I'm not the level of shooter of a lot of these other guys here so they may have some more insight.