Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need spitfire help

Shooter212

I just got a spitfire zeroed it at fifty yards went to my 200 plate and nothing. So I went back to a fifty yard target and it was right there with the  other ones. In about an 1 1/2” circle. Back to the 200 plate nothing. I go put it on paper at 100 and it’s 2” high and 2” left zero it and I can hit all my plates at home. My question is can there be that much parallax what am I doing wrong. I like the 50 200ish zero works good here with nothing past 400. 

29 minutes ago, jon49erfan said:

have you shot the rifle with a different scope? Maybe the upper isnt true.

I shot it with 1-4 and it seemed fine. I always just sighted at 50 and went with it. It always hit steel, I never put it on paper at different distances and saw what it was doing though. What do you mean by not true? Like the rail not being square with the rest of it?

What round are you using?

Always check dope for the farthest distance you can.  50yds isn't far enough to find out what the round is doing at distance.  So, even if you want to run a 50yd zero, check all POI as far out as you can.  And agree with above......200yd zero will give you better overall results than a 50yd zero.  I can recall using Wolf Gold with a rifle a few years back.....zero'd at 50 and thought it was fine, but at 80yds, the windage was off enough to miss 4" wide steel targets.

Any chance you had changed your cheek weld and/or how you were putting load on the rifle?  For example, I've seen where loading up force on the front of the rifle can change the POI. 

For reference, I've been running a 300yd zero with the Spitfire AR.  Keeps holds easy out to 400yd, although with the round I'm zero'd with the 100yd-200yd targets are rather low holds.  No issues picking up targets out to 550yds, other than shooter error, LOL. 

Thus, thinking I'll switch back to a 200yd zero (like my TacOps rifle I used for a long time) since there are a higher quantity of 100-300yd targets than one finds of 400+yd targets.........just dial the BDC turret for >=350yd targets.

Edited by AustinWolv

43 minutes ago, Shooter212 said:

I shot it with 1-4 and it seemed fine. I always just sighted at 50 and went with it. It always hit steel, I never put it on paper at different distances and saw what it was doing though. What do you mean by not true? Like the rail not being square with the rest of it?

I mean the face of the receiver that the barrel touches. If it isnt square, it would explain why you were getting that much horizontal change. 

If ya want to shoot at 200, zero it at 200. A 50 zero is never "zeroed" at 200.

I usually recommend a iron sight or 1x set up (advise given to me by several more seasoned 3 gunners) to be zeroed at 300. Keeps you on the target from close to 350yds in. Hold over at 400 is about a foot, give or take. 99% of targets seen in a 3gun match will be 400 and under. Under 250, hold at 6 o'clock, 250 to 350 hold on, over 350 start elevating. This also keeps iron sight shooters from "covering" the target with the front post until more elevation is needed after 350ish.

And the zero process usually involves calculating the 100 hold first, shooting at 100 and getting elevation to that hold point, but concentrating on getting windage perfect. Then go out to 300 and final tune elevation but leave windage adjustments alone...unless you are shooting in a 300yd tunnel.

jj

Hey checking back in took some advice off of here zeroed at 300 last week. It worked good spent the last three days shooting the tri gun. Skinny Sammy’s at fifty were no problem held a little high at 360 and got my hits. Missed a 2 200 but it was my fault not getting into a good position. I only take two shoots and move on it’s only 5 seconds for ftn. Everything worked good managed eighth place. I think I am gonna keep playing limited liking it better then tac ops so far.