Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Removing Disco from hammer on Shadow

gunner01

Guys I am putting the CGW reduced reach kit on my S2.  I am having a hell of a time getting the disco off the CGW race hammer that is currently installed.  I am pounding the crap out of the pin holding the disco to the hammer and it is not budging and is starting to deform some.  Is there some secret other than having a press to get the pin out when changing disco's?  Thanks for any advice.

Make sure you're using a hardened punch.

I removed mine by placing it on a piece of wood, on a cement floor and driving the pin into the wood...at least for starters.  Once it's started it should come right out.

I think I will try using my vice jaws instead of a rubber mat.  Maybe the rubber mat was absorbing too much of the impact.  Also I need to get a hardened punch or a starter punch since the punch size is so small the punch takes a beating otherwise.

Well Just wanted to follow up.  This may be obvious to a lot of folks but it might help some others.  I took the disco out to my shop and used the jaws of my vise as a base to hammer on and the disco pin moved right on out easy a pie.  Evidently hammering on a rubber gun smithing mat absorbed the impact of the blows and wouldn't force the pin to move.   Oh and also used a nail set since I didn't have a small starter punch on hand.  But it was mainly the firm support that did the trick.

Edit:  Used the vise to press the pin back in and that worked like a champ.

Edited by gunner01