Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 Bullets And Metal Moon Clip Posts

minnesota1

I have a 625 and want to shoot a little IPSC/IDPA with it. I would like to know which .45 bullets you all prefer. I'd like to take into account economics but I won't shoot lead-Not allowed in some ranges. Do you like Berry's, Accura aka west coast, ranier, zero, montana gold, or have any of you tried Precision bullets? Precision seems economical. Plated or coated would be fine but if you know some ups and downs about certain brands I would love to hear about them. Your recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

Lastly, I have some California comp moon clip holders. I really do not care for the plastic insert in it. It seems to make it harder to extract the clips. Does anyone make those metal posts that you can find in some other moonclip holders? I have a few that work for my .357 and they are pretty slick.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob,

I have used the Precision 200 grn and 230 grn bullets, good choice cheaper than plated/Jacketed and don't smoke. :)

California comp makes the metal stud that goes in them, they are for 627 but will work on 625 moons too.

Good luck, welcome to the world of Revolvers......Some of us like it here!!!

Hopalong

Bob;

I like Montana's 230 CMJ over 4.3 gr. of Clays. Makes about 170 pf. You definately want to avoid lead bullets as they can stick to the walls of the cylinder and bind up right when you don't want them to. I use the California Competition holders with the plastic post, just put the moon in so that only two bullets are held by the post, with the other four dangling on the other side. They'll hold fine, even if you bounce around a bunch.

First I use Montana Gold in CMJ so there is no leading in my gun at all (I will never have to clean my gun but don't know if it offsets the increased price for the bullets)!! Also if you pull on the front of the moon clip holders it will loosen them up so they will come out very easily (do it a little at a time so you don't go too much). Good luck, John DVC

Powder selection is important too. I have had both lead and Precision bullets (loaded with WST) make the chambers "sticky" after about 100 rounds or so. Switching to Rainer or West Coast plated solved the problem completely. Then switching to Clays powder made everything VERY clean.

I have on my list to try Clays and 230gr LRN to see if the clean powder can counteract the leading/stickiness. I should try Precision bullets again too.

I use a 230-gr. RNL over 4.1 of Clays in my 625. I've discovered I can make it through a full-day match without brushing, and no stickiness problem at all.

All other things being equal, using a jacketed bullet will force you to use a bit higher powder charge to make the power factor, which means a bit more felt recoil.

I use jacketed stuff to strip the lead out of my barrel every now and then, and that's about it.

Mike

On lead smoking and dirtyness...

I have found the type of Lube is the most trouble.....Red seems to smoke the least but is a little more sticky... and yes they both get quite dirty after a good days practice.

And I use 4.1 grns of Clays like Carmoney for my lead.

Ranier 230 plated takes 4.4 for my gun

Precision 230 takes 4.3 out of my gun

that is to make 168,000 power factor or better.

FWIW

Mr. CLEAN

Yo Minesotta! There are currently TWO types of plated bullets:

-those with swaged lead cores. Swagin can only be done with pure, soft lead. these include Speer TMJ (thickest copper plate jacket) Accura/WCB, Berry, etc.

-the bullet with HARD CAST LEAD core and copper plated over that core. Only ones I know of are from Frontier. These act a lot like hard cast without the smoke or grime (very clean).

We get them real cheap here int he East from T&T reloading out of PA - they deliver for free right to your gunshow. Do a search on "Frontier" & you will find contact ifo for your state. I shoot a 625 too. Use Clays powder. D.