Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Barrel

Azone41

I am going to put a new barrel in my Eagle 5.1 (40 S&W). It s a very old gun and dosen't have a supported barrel. I was going to use a scheumann but it looks like the wait is going to be months to get one. Does anyone have any info on the KKMs? I wil be using a 40 bull with a clark/para cut. Haven't found any listed except from KKM so I was thinking about ordering one later this week. I wouldn't bother because I shoot limited maybe twice a year but my wife wants to start shooting so I am going to start her out on this gun while we are waiting on a new custom to be built for her. Any info would be a great help.

If a Schuemann was your 1st choice, I believe KKM is a logical 2nd choice; the owner of KKM was once associated with Schuemann. I have been using a .40 bullbarrel KKM with a C/P ramp in an upper I built myself to make an old Open SV into a Limited SV; after 2 years of club competitions & the recent Nationals, the barrel is still very accurate; I follow Schuemann's barrel cleaning advice.

On the other hand, Schuemann barrels are great; have you checked inventory with Brownells, Shooters Connection, Brazos, SV, or other companies that may have a C/P ramp .40 in stock?

D.C. Johnson

Kevin at KKM is a good guy, but in response to your post about "only KKM has them listed", there are a dozen barrel makers out there who'll make, and usually stock a 5" CP .40. If you're going through Brownel's they dropped a bunch of barrels they used to carry, or were dropped by the factory. Barrel buying is not nearly as convenient as it used to be.

For the money the KKM barrels (and customer service) have to be the best anywhere. STI also makes a good barrel, nice deep cut rifling and good dimensions (from what I hear from GS's).

BarSto, STI, and Schuemann AET are other good ones. Some folks like the EDM rifling, I don't. Briley, Brown and others use that.

On my next Limited project I am going AET, KKM 1 in 32", Barsto or STI. Roughly in that order, but more determined by the mood of the 'smith and what's available when we're ready to go.

Try a search for "KKM barrels" quite a few threads came up.

I had an 9mm open gun built with a KKM barrel and it's very accurate. Whenever I replace my limited barrel I'd buy another KKM for that as well. Kevin at KKM is super cool to deal with. He took the time to answer all of my stupid questions when I was trying to decide what barrel to use. I have a Schuemann in my limited gun now and would use another as well. Price and availablility would determine which one goes in, otherwise both are great barrels.

Speed Shooters

Schuemann Classic barrel .400

Schuemann Classic 5 " standard barrel .400 diameter with Clark/Para ramp cut.

GC40CNM0 - $140.00

The thing to do is call them and see what they have in stock. Kevin can turn out a barrel in 2-5 days if he's not too busy. Wil is a lot longer....he heat treats the barrels after machining and then tumbles them for a few days it seems. Special orders or something not in stock can take 3-6 weeks.