Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How far should brass fly

So,

Gun came with 3 recoil springs. Choose the middle one 12, something LBS and feels good. My Brass is flying 10 to 15 feet however, is this a bad thing? Should I reduce recoil spring? I've read that 6 -7 feet is optimal? Help greatly appreciated...

I think reducing the recoil spring should throw brass farther.  What caliber are you shooting?  It sounds like a .40, in which case that spring may be a little light.  If it's a 9mm, most people are using a lighter spring.  But it sounds like your loads are hotter than normal if it's throwing brass that far.

As long as the feel is good and ejects reliably then it's all good. That being said my open gun tosses cases about 4'-5' with minor loads and 6'-7' with major loads. I've got a carry optics gun (Q5 Match) with loads that have a PF of 125-130 that drops them right next to my right foot but it cycles very reliably. As stated above, if you don't want them flying into the next bay then go with a heavier spring or lower PF rounds.

1 hour ago, kneelingatlas said:

I don't think the distance traveled by the brass is a good variable to tune your setup around.

I hope so Atlas... all is well but I just wondered if 15 feet (and more) isn't 'strange'.

50 minutes ago, HalRex said:

As long as the feel is good and ejects reliably then it's all good. That being said my open gun tosses cases about 4'-5' with minor loads and 6'-7' with major loads. I've got a carry optics gun (Q5 Match) with loads that have a PF of 125-130 that drops them right next to my right foot but it cycles very reliably. As stated above, if you don't want them flying into the next bay then go with a heavier spring or lower PF rounds.

Lower PF difficult, we need to reach a minimum of 170 in Standard Major... I am at 173 with 195gn bullets and 4,3 gn of VVN320.

24 minutes ago, Fasthenk65 said:

I hope so Atlas... all is well but I just wondered if 15 feet (and more) isn't 'strange'.

No big deal, I have some pistols which launch brass over the berm ?

The best method I've tried for choosing a recoil spring with your ammo and your grip is to take aim at a close target and rip two shots as fast as you can, where is the second shot? if high, try a heavier recoil spring to bring the muzzle down faster, if low, try a lighter spring.  Obviously as your grip strength and trigger speed changes this determination changes too.

5 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

No big deal, I have some pistols which launch brass over the berm ?

The best method I've tried for choosing a recoil spring with your ammo and your grip is to take aim at a close target and rip two shots as fast as you can, where is the second shot? if high, try a heavier recoil spring to bring the muzzle down faster, if low, try a lighter spring.  Obviously as your grip strength and trigger speed changes this determination changes too.

I'll try Wednesday (range day) and let you know. Thanks for the tip!!

So,

Gun came with 3 recoil springs. Choose the middle one 12, something LBS and feels good. My Brass is flying 10 to 15 feet however, is this a bad thing? Should I reduce recoil spring? I've read that 6 -7 feet is optimal? Help greatly appreciated...

What is optimal is the brass is ejected every time the pistol is fired, not how far it flies. If a 12 pound spring is right for the bullet, charge your are shooting, the gun is shooting flat as in recoil and the gun always ejects the brass why change something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk