Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Czechmate issue

pmills2001

Was shooting first stage of a Uspsa match today w/ my czechmate, 1st round goes bang, 2nd shot click, then tap,rack and click.

at this point i was panicking a little as I had taken it down the night before for cleaning and thought maybe I screwed something up. Turns out the follower on the mag was jammed, haven’t checked the mag yet, maybe it was dirty. Next stage was the classifier, glad it didn’t happen then. I’ve been shooting open for a few months, started with an sti matchmaster, then got a great deal on the czechmate, i’m A cz guy, sold the matchmaster. Gotta say I love the czechmate, jammed magazine and all.

• 3 weeks later...

Beven is the man.  I sent him my 170 mags for him to perform his magic on.  They were going salt shaker on me almost every time if I loaded to capacity.  When I got them back, they ran perfect and I was able to get 29 rounds into the mags.  That's with CZ Custom extended base pads and Beven Grams springs and followers, plus his tuning.  He called me when the mags shipped and told me if I tried real hard I could probably get 30 into the mag but told me not to do it.

Are they limited to 10 by a dimple pressed into the sides part way down ?

If so its your follower being pushed over this dimple on one side. 

I found if I don’t push 10th round down harder or further than necessary to get it in then works ok. 

Was the follower actually jammed (i.e. you had to disassemble the max to fix it) or were the rounds just sticking in the mag (i.e. they feed properly/better if the mag is shaken or if you press down on the rounds in the mag)?

These are the things I would try:

1.  Ensure your mags are clean - get a mag cleaning brush if you do not have one

2.  Check your OAL - I prefer less than 1.130 for feeding reliability

3.  Stop using case lube if you are using it

4. Can you replicate the problem by thumbing the rounds from the Mags? Load the mags and leave them for a few hours or overnight and try again. If the rounds are not rising positively, replace the mag springs

5.  Number your magazines to see if you can isolate the problem to a particular mag/mags

pmills2001 have a look at your springs, you will probably see marks on them level with the dimple on left side where as you load and compress the spring it “bumps “ over the dimple and can catch. I don’t know how to prevent this completely but polishing the inside of the dimples with fine emery paper(1000grit) over your finger seemed to help along with being careful when loading, sometimes you can feel the spring catching, unload and start again. 

i think you guys are right on the 10 rounders and the dimple, i had to take them apart to clear the jam, OAL on all the bullets are the same, its "factory Major" from moderndefense.com oal 1.14"

Will try and polish the dimple, 

Another local match tomorrow so i'll see how they run