Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2005 Texas State Limited / Sept. 23-25

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will the stages be posted online before the match, or just in the match booklet at arrival?

Match booklet upon arrival.

Sorry for the misinformation. The stages have not been pre-posted in the past. This year, they are in fact posting online prematch.

Edited by reneet

Check in/ Registration has always been at the range on Thurs evening.  In years past, they've had a keg or 2 + muchies (chips, dips, veggies, etc.).  If you miss Thurs evening, you can check in/ register on Fri morning.

Well, as one can see by looking at me, I seldom miss a chance at munchies... I got my reservation moved back to Thursday... Nice folks at the Ridge by the way. :)

Are the BE'ers gonna get together anywhere?

We've got two things going for us: It's Beth's (Mrs. Polo's) birthday weekend and the Austin Mafia will be in attendance. Be prepared for a huge throwdown at the Ridge certainly to surpass last year's party at the Plaza. It will be a "not to be missed" event. Be there or be sober. B)

-Chet

B O N U S S T A G E @ D. T. R.

"We Just found Out about a CRITICAL STAGE at the Texas State Limited ( I do the Match Books for the Limited) This is one I don't believe I have seen any where and we are setting it Up at the Double Tap Ranch Tomorrow at the match. So bring about 20 extra Rounds. This could be a make or break Stage at the Match and you DEFINITELY want to get in some practice on this stage.

So Load Up for 7 seven stages and we will see you tomorrow Saturday at 10:00am.

Robert Porter

match Director

Double Tap Ranch"

I just got the above email, does anyone have the skinny on this mysterious stage?

I haven't heard back from the email I sent.

Is this match full yet?

Can it be shot in one day?

Feel free to pm me.

There is plenty of room left in the match. My guess it that there's no chance of shooting it a different format. I'll post as soon as I hear back from Artie.

I'd like to see the "critical" stage. Sounds like, from the post that General Chang made, that the guy laying out the match booklet is using his position to get some practice in for him and his "posse" on what he considers to be a "critical stage."

I sure hope he or GenChang was joking, because that sounds like quite the shenanigan if true.

Alex

him and his "posse" 

Alex

If by "him and his "posse"" you mean 26 competitors (that shot today) from DFW, Oklahoma and North Texas, I guess thats a pretty big posse. :D

The "bonus stage", as I found out when I showed up to shoot today, was a 75 yards standards stage, one string fixed time. We weren't told what the actual TX Lim stage its drawn from will actually be like, other than it must have some 75 yard shooting, evidently.

I'll leave the rest of the comments for others to discuss. :ph34r:

EDITED (to remove part of Wakal's qoute, as he edited his post)

Interesting, to say the least. I have contacted Jim and Artie to ask them their take on this.

And while the other item wasn't germane to the discussion thread (which is why I cut it off my post), I do have two USPSA clubs full of witnesses who saw the same thing.

Alex

So, now that we all know that the TSL will have a 75yd standards stage of some kind, and some have even shot a supposedly similarly configured stage, it seems that a pre-match "competitive advantage" has been acheived. :o

Therefore, in fairness to all, I propose that we collectively lobby the MD of the TSL, to modify that stage to remove said "competitive advantage." ;)

Hmmm, lemme see here, how might we suggest that the MD address this...

- add more targets - yeah, that changes it a little bit, but maybe something more...

- rearrange target placements - ok, that worked at nationals, but how about...

- adding penalty targets - aw c'mon, add a little excitement

but the kicker change that we really need to convey to the MD...

- divide the original distance to targets by factor of 10!!! :D

Now, isn't that a sensible way to eliminate that "competitive advantage?" :P

P.S.

Call you friendly TSL MD director today!!!!

Well, this was to be my first travel match. A good friend of mine has made the trip for a few years now and suggested I might go as well this year. I did read the original post and there was nothing left to guessing from what was said. I don't think I will be making the trip.

I just heard that the stages will all be posted online within a day or to anyway (as was planned all along evidently?), so its kind of a moot point. No unfair advantage as everyone will have access to the stages early, to study or whatever.

I do agree its unfair to have matches where the stages AREN'T available in advance, yet the Match Director, Stage Designers, Setup Crew and R.O.s all shoot for Match score. I hate that. :angry:

Hello All

Again let me Clear up the rumor going around by some VERY UNINFORMED Folks and do some apologies.

First after shooting only one target and one component of the stage (such as through a port,, under a wall or at a distance) I dramacitlly over stated the importances of this stage in my e-mail. My apologize for this at the time it seemed more critical until we shot the one target. I got confirmation of the stage late Friday afternoon and decide throw in a target to see if any one could hit at that yardage. There are five strings in the original stage for the TSL, we used one and it was not configured the same as any in the stage from the TSL the only similarity is the yardage.

To advantage statement... The stages were decide back in march to be posted this year on the bulletworks web site and will be up FOR ALL TO SEE AND PRACTICE MONDAY so we did have a two day advantage. But if that Advantage were to hold true then I should have Won A class Last year and the Year before and the Year Before that and B class the Year before That and C Class ...... But never even placed in any of those classes and often got beat by lower class fellows. the advantage statement does not seem hold true.

But If you want a Real Advantage that will cost you some time and work Artie and Jimmy Are a little behind in getting the match set up because of the massive amount of rain in breck this month. Artie asked me to ask ANYONE that is willing to come down on labor day weekend and give them a hand SETTING UP THE REAL STAGES.

Seems pretty informed to me...

----- Original Message -----

To:

Sent: Friday, August 26, 2005 5:24 PM

Subject: Bonus Stage this Saturday @D.T.R

B O N U S S T A G E @ D. T. R.

We Just found Out about a CRITICAL STAGE at the Texas State Limited ( I do the Match Books for the Limited) This is one I don't believe I have seen any where and we are setting it Up at the Double Tap Ranch Tomorrow at the match. So bring about 20 extra Rounds. This could be a make or break Stage at the Match and you DEFINITELY want to get in some practice on this stage.

So Load Up for 7 seven stages and we will see you tomorrow Saturday at 10:00am.

Robert Porter

match Director

Double Tap Ranch

-------------------------

"...We Just found Out about a CRITICAL STAGE at the Texas State Limited ( I do the Match Books for the Limited) This is one I don't believe I have seen any where and we are setting it Up at the Double Tap Ranch Tomorrow at the match..."

"Overstated"...yeah, that is a good line for this sort of behavior from Porter. Nothing new, though.

And for the record, I second the "more targets 7.5 yards" idea :D

Alex

Well, this was to be my first travel match.  A good friend of mine has made the trip for a few years now and suggested I might go as well this year.  I did read the original post and there was nothing left to guessing from what was said.  I don't think I will be making the trip.

Awwww, don't bail out of the trip. It's a heck of a fun match. First, as Robert stated, the TSL stages will be up on the website tomorrow. Being "in the know" for one extra day this far ahead of the match can't truly be called an advantage. Second, I was at Robert's match last weekend. His email did overstate things as it implied we would be shooting the exact stage. The only thing we gleened was that there would some shooting at 75 yards. As SFinney stated, he didn't tell us what the exact TSL stage description was. This wasn't some covert plan to get local shooters ahead of everyone else. I think it was just to get some buzz going about the match and that it has. Nothing is more interesting than contraversy. ;)

The only issue I see is that there appears to be some animosity between Robert and Alex which is unfortunate. Both should refrain from venting hostilities here (insert finger wagging emoticon here). Play nice boys!

LOL...I promise not to tell lies about prop designs, try to drastically alter match results after the match director has already posted the final results, or modify stages during the match (repeatedly) against the direct orders of the match director(s).

And I also promise to work as a CRO for the Texas State Limited for the fourth year in a row, and to set up the prize table for same for the fourth year in a row :D

But I won't promise not to check my 75-yard zero ;)

Alex

Well, this was to be my first travel match.  A good friend of mine has made the trip for a few years now and suggested I might go as well this year.  I did read the original post and there was nothing left to guessing from what was said.  I don't think I will be making the trip.

Awwww, don't bail out of the trip. It's a heck of a fun match.

+1

Just got off the phone with Artie.

The match has openings

It CANNOT be shot in ONE day

Stages will be posted online within the next week

Let's go support this long running match so that it may continue to grow and prosper.