Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double feeds on Lim Pro reload

This hasn't been a problem with my 9mm Lim Pro but I had 2 double feeds today at a match while reloading.  The slide is set to close on reload so I slam the mag home to ensure the slide closes.  Its set good on this gun so I don't really need to slam it hard.  I did clean my gun last night and lubed it as well as cleaning the outside of the mags.  I also replaced the hammer spring with a PD 13 lbs spring and the recoil sprint with a Wolf 9 lbs spring.  On the recoil spring, I'm not sure what was in there before.  I bought the gun from a friend and he had it tuned.  The old recoil spring looked like it had some coils clipped on one end.  I haven't changed my mag springs for a year.  Unfortunately, I did not save the mag on the malfunction.  I typically rotate 6 mags during a match.  Someone suggested maybe the mag spring is getting weak.  Any suggestions?  If it happens again, I will definitely identify the mag and see if its just one problem.  In any case, I don't mind replacing all mag springs with extra power springs.

Hah good luck finding extra power mag springs.  I also had the same thought only to find out Wolff only makes +10% and +15% mag springs for the old non-Mecgar mags.  BSPS does sell replacement large-frame mecgar mag springs.

Sorry to hear about the double-feeds.  Get a 1050 and all your problems will go away :)

Edited by V2plus25

I know on my CO Lim Pro that when I get a double feed that I have let mine get too dirty. What this means, to me, is the slide to frame timing is off and it needs cleaned. Not knowing what was the weight of the recoil spring before, I would try a lighter recoil spring and see if that helps.  How many rounds on the gun?

22 hours ago, texasdawg said:

I know on my CO Lim Pro that when I get a double feed that I have let mine get too dirty. What this means, to me, is the slide to frame timing is off and it needs cleaned. Not knowing what was the weight of the recoil spring before, I would try a lighter recoil spring and see if that helps.  How many rounds on the gun?

I shoot Production SSP, so 10+1 rounds in the gun.  I had just cleaned my mags (outside only) and gun the night before.

On 5/26/2018 at 7:37 PM, johnbu said:

Mag lips could be getting wide too. 0.350" is what mine measure.

5 of mine measure around 0.369 at the opening edge of the lip.  There were a couple that measure 0.580 or higher.  When they get too wide, do you try to bed them back with pliers are just toss them and get new ones?  I'm going to get a couple new ones since I was going to replace mag springs anyways and the cost of a complete one is close to a new mag body + new mag spring.

10 minutes ago, 1eyedfatman said:

5 of mine measure around 0.369 at the opening edge of the lip.  There were a couple that measure 0.580 or higher.  When they get too wide, do you try to bed them back with pliers are just toss them and get new ones?  I'm going to get a couple new ones since I was going to replace mag springs anyways and the cost of a complete one is close to a new mag body + new mag spring.

CDNN sells 9mm mags for 15 bucks (unbranded mecgar 25 for real k9)  when they get flaky,  they become DF mags and i buy new. Bending the lips works ... for a while.  but never for long.

On 5/26/2018 at 4:46 PM, 1eyedfatman said:

so I slam the mag home to ensure the slide closes.

If I do that I have occasional feed problems, period. I can get shot to shot faster with a smooth reload instead of a slam reload & I make it a habit of thumbing the release whether or not I need to on the rare occasions that I have run to slide lock. Unless you are left handed and using a gun set up for normal humans (or otherwise have trouble hitting the release) the slide closing on its own does not save any time. 

On 5/26/2018 at 7:37 PM, johnbu said:

Mag lips could be getting wide too. 0.350" is what mine measure.

You don't find much on Tanfo mag specs and tuning (at least I haven't). All data/experience is of interest. 

On 5/30/2018 at 5:08 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Don’t slam mags into your gun.

Modify the slide stop and notch in the slide so that the slide falls with a “normally firm” seat.

He's right! Hey, @MemphisMechanic

Can you post the link on how to adjust / tune to auto-forward?