Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finally scored Fed SPP after a year + backlog order

igolfat8

15 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Add hammer spring. Shoot Winchester.

I don’t get this obsession unless you shoot wheelgun. A 6 pound DA in your DA/SA production gun is hilariously easy to shoot

A 6 pound pull in a wheel gun is the same as a 6 pound d.a. pull in a semi auto.

I checked the math twice. 

Have a steel challenge match Sat & USPSA Sunday. Like the first shot advantage for the latter & really like it for the former. 

Agree that deep seated winchesters will work, just prefer the best that I can get. 

Alive and well  w a horde of new primers. I really wasnt expecting some stranger to be able to show up w primers ive been unable to get for over a year in a 70 mile radius. And of course 5 hours before we are supposed to meet my !@#$ local gun shop posts on facebook that they now have the primers in stock. They've been on order by the store for like a year and a half. I immediately left work to go buy some from the shop thinking that a surer thing than the stranger. I also wanted to keep my word w this guy though; so I winded up doing both. Im now sitting on like 20 boxes of the stuff. Ive been searching for them so long that now im hesitant to start loading them and just wanna horde them  

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, PhillySoldier said:

Whats everyone consider too much to horde?

More than you can afford.... I don't ever consider powder or primers "too much" unless it possess a hazard to neighbors or pets if a fire started.

If you have the budget to buy more, then do it. My guns are setup to shoot CCI's since I never know if Win or Fed primers will go away.

Edited by SCTaylor

I am brand new to hand loading and have already been caught up in this game. When I was starting the shopping list there was Federal on the shelf so thought I could get when I needed. Mistake. Didn’t see it again for months. Recently found some at two local shops, one let me buy a whole carton! My Revolver will run Winchester primers if I hand seat them and they seem to be always available here. Saving the Fed for match ammo.

I try to keep 2 years powder and primers.

I shoot 7,000 9mm a year so 4 kg (8 lb) power and 15,000 primers.

I have about 6 months projectiles as they are usually available and the higher price makes me hesitate buying larger quantities.

I top up when I go under 2 years but will wait for up to 6 months if the price is not reasonable. After 6 months I get a bit nervous and top up anyway.

I purchase 2 kg (4 lb) powder bottles and 5,000 primers at a time.

Edited by BMaus

• 2 weeks later...