Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Kadet .22 for CZ Shadow 2

MsDV8

Really happy with the way the adapter performed.  I’ve  shot a 9mm Sig 1911 with a .22 adapter and it was nothing to write home about, lots of misfeeds, but having said that my stock Sig 1911 .22 experiences lots of misfeeds as well,  one or two per magazine, for sure at least one; typical notorious finicky .22.  Converting the Shadow 2 to a .22 is effortless, pop out the slide release which is similar to the 9mm version, but it lacks the dimple found on the 9mm.  This is too bad, because that little dimple makes it easy to pop in a corner of one of the mags and then easily pop out the slide stop.  That’s about the only criticism I have for the adapter.  I ran through 100 rounds of CCI 40gn Standard Velocity .22 and 100 rounds of Federal Champion 40gn .22.  The gun hiccuped on two rounds of the CCI and ate up the Federal like it was half starved, no jams or misfeeds even under rapid fire conditions.  Normally when I shoot 9mm under practice conditions I limit myself to 150 rounds, but with the .22 I can now shoot 500 rounds for less than what 75 rounds of 9mm would have cost.  Clean up is different than the 9mm.  I couldn’t see a way to easily remove the barrel but a bore snake works really well.  Accuracy is good.  I also love the fact that it weighs about a pound more than my full size Sig 1911 .22. Despite the cost, I am really happy with this thing.  Looking forward to receiving the CZ factory optic ready Shadow 2 shortly as well.

8 hours ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

What weight mainspring did you use? One of the reasons I sold my Kadet Kit II for my 85C was having to constantly change out the hammer spring (with an unrealistic DA).

Whatever the Kadet came with.  I have no idea.  I didn’t have to make any changes to the Shadow in order for it to fire .22’s as well as it does 9mm.  Seriously, take off the 9mm slide, slide on the .22 slide, load up the mags. pop one in and start shooting.  I was worried about having to constantly change springs as well, but this is not the case.  CZ dialed in the Shadow 2 Kadet .22 specifically for the Shadow 2, unlike the original Kadet and Kadet 2 which covered a variety of CZ 75 designs and where some modifications to the Kadet were required.  This is not a one size fits all case, this thing fits, and this thing works.  Spare mags are pricy at nearly $100 Cdn.  It’s not an inexpensive alternative to a .22, but you still get to shoot your Shadow and in reality, the cost savings of shooting .22 for practice and plinking will add up over time.  Because everything is the same, with the exception of a reduced recoil; but same grip, same trigger, nearly identical weight (only a few ounces lighter), even fits whatever holster you’re using for a Shadow 2, it’s pretty much ideal for me. 

Wait so your DA pull is around 6-7#? If so, then I would definitely consider getting this kit. Using the 17# mainspring with the older Kadet Kit was an absolute pain (moreso installing and racking the slide than actually shooting it).

13 hours ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

Wait so your DA pull is around 6-7#? If so, then I would definitely consider getting this kit. Using the 17# mainspring with the older Kadet Kit was an absolute pain (moreso installing and racking the slide than actually shooting it).

My DA is whatever the Shadow comes stock with.  I have not had any modifications done to it.  Seriously, installing and racking the slide is no different than installing or racking the 9mm slide, just as easy, simple and just as fast.  The Kadet slide  even has the exact same slide serrations cut into it front and rear just like the Shadow.  The Kadet came with two springs, plus I ordered a 13lb main spring because that’s what I was hearing from others (but that pertained to the Kadet 2 and older Kadet for the SP-01).  No one told me I needed to use these springs and seriously I thought they were replacement springs for the magazines, lol.  Nope, my Shadow is still in it’s stock unadulterated form and it’s conjoined with the Kadet for Shadow 2 Conversion kit like it’s made for it, oh wait....it is made for it.  I don’t think you’re going to be disappointed if you get one.  I for one am so glad my rep at Wolverine gave me the heads up about the conversion kit for the Shadow 2.  So worth the wait and it’s a bomber, heavy piece so retains the weight and feel of the Shadow 2.  The magazines are the only things made of plastic.  If you would like any additional pics of the slide, detailed photos etc.  Let me know.

I've tested the 2018 Kadet kit on my Shadow 2 a few weeks ago and with the 11lb (I think, it was one down from the stock Shadow 2) mainspring I did have light primer strikes on Federal, Remington and Winchester -- about 2-3 per hundred. Didn't have the time to put back the stock mainspring, I'd imagine it would work just fine like it did for @MsDV8.

• 5 months later...
On 5/16/2018 at 4:46 PM, SlvrDragon50 said:

my old kadet 22 version on cz75 with 17 lb main spring didn't worked from the beginning .probably someone without any  mech.  skills assembled  this kit  in cz factory.?

i fixed it . now it works perfect with 13 lb main spring. all parts in old 22 kit from steel.

did new sh2  .22 kit made partially from alum.?

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/9/2018 at 7:10 PM, MissionaryMike said:

Are y'all having continued success and reliability with the Shadow 2 Kadet Kit?  I'm looking to pick one up for some casual NRA bullseye at my pistol club.

Yes, still functioning as well as it originally did.  Been shooting more optics lately and with an OR Shadow on the way, I might permanently convert the original iron sights Shadow 2 to full time .22.  My only beef is that replacement mags are very hard to come by.  Got some of the CZ 75 Kadet mags and they are not the same (at all).  Steel mags instead of plastic, which is great for the magnetic pouches but they don’t perform like the stock CZ Shadow 2 Kadet mags, meaning that don’t go to slide lock after the last round.  My one and only beef and hopefully CZ comes out with the spare mags soon, as I’d like to shoot the .22 conversion for USSC.

On 11/9/2018 at 11:05 PM, yigal said:

my old kadet 22 version on cz75 with 17 lb main spring didn't worked from the beginning .probably someone without any  mech.  skills assembled  this kit  in cz factory.?

i fixed it . now it works perfect with 13 lb main spring. all parts in old 22 kit from steel.

did new sh2  .22 kit made partially from alum.?

Not that I could ascertain, it’s pretty heavy for a conversion kit.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/9/2019 at 9:42 PM, Nojob said:

i hope MsDV8 has learned, by now, that the bbl on the Shadow 2  conversion pops down for cleaning, if you push down just over the chamber.  I had the same concern until I discovered this by accident. 

Good catch! I haven't found a relevant user guide for this kit - even the one included with it. . . .any other tips cheerfully accepted.

• 2 years later...

Thought I'd report on my findings with CCI MiniMag.

First, I reprofiled the firing pin on the S2 Kadet so it hits the face of the primer more and not the rim. This is from suggestions on czfirearms.

Next, I clipped 1.5 coils from the stock firing pin spring. I want to test again with the CZC reduced FP spring.

Last, I tried 13, 14, 15, and 16# Hammer Springs. All failed to ignite 100% on CCI MiniMag. I would say it ranges from 50-75% going from 13-16#.

I am running this on a CZ 75 with FPB removed, short reset, disconnect and race hammer.

I will try 17# hammer spring next...if that fails to light MiniMags 100% I might try factory 20# and then clips some coils to get it down to 18# area...

• 3 weeks later...