Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is anyone using VVN320 or N340 with 147 grain JHP?

So my journey into Pistol Caliber Carbines for steel shoots took me to the Rock River R9 Competition. This is without a doubt one of the highest quality and best built AR15s I have seen in 35 years of using and owning them. But as I have stated in another post it is very ammo sensitive. Bullets with a long bearing surface seem to shoot the best groups at 50 yards.

So I am looking at trying the Zero 147 JHP or 147 FMJ bullets. I have several jugs of Vihta Vuori N320 and N340 so I am going to try this powder. I really like both of these powders. So Lapua's load data shows:

N320 3.1 grains minimum at 784 FPS to 3.9 grains max at 984FPS.

The N340 is listed 3.9 grains minimum at 948FPS and 4.3 grains maximum at 1015 FPS. I am  going to speculate that the VVN340 will work a little better with the heavier bullet.

Is anyone else using these powders with the 147 bullets? what loads are you using?

I know my friend uses N340 with 147gr bullets for his 9mm AR and loves it. It's his go to load. I don't know the exact load data but have shot it and it is very pleasant to shoot. It's also pretty quiet out of his 9mm AR SBR with a suppressor. I know he has made a subsonic load with N340 and 147gr bullets for the suppressed 9mm AR.

53 minutes ago, ericskennard said:

N320 3.1 grains minimum at 784 FPS to 3.9 grains max at 984FPS.

Is anyone else using these powders with the 147 bullets? what loads are you using?

It looks like your load data is for a pistol barrel.  Those loads will be plenty hot in a 16" barrel.

I'm not using jacketed bullets but 147 gr plated bullets with 3.3 gr N-320 chronos at 985 fps (145 PF).

I've been using my standard pistol load of 3.6g N320 and 147g SNS coated in a RRA LAR-9.  I had to change to a light CAR buffer and spring to get it to function reliably, but now it's fine.

Edited by ltdmstr

E

Careful with the really fast powders with a 16" tube both the powders you mentioned should be fine. I am using 340 and it makes PF with all the bullets I have tried 115-121-135 and 147 no pressure issues. I do use 320 in my hand gun and I was tempted to use the same load for both since my barrel is a 14.5 but i saw some problems with faster powder and the 16" tubes. I run the chrono for a few matches and the faster powders seem to lose velocity in the longer tube with powders that were intended to have done their thing in 5" or less in a pistol. Be careful and chrono along the way