Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CGW Disco vs the CZC short reset?

vnboileau

I have a 91030 Shadow that came from CZ Custom with the pre-B short reset disconnector.  I have another SP01 Shadow that came from the Custom Shop, but with the standard disco. 

I'd like to set them up similarly, but I wanted to hear from someone who's tried the CGW disconnectors and how they feel compared to the CZC setup...

I've got both.  They are very similar in feel.  How they feel depends quite a bit on the fitting.  The CGW has only a single wing and seems to be a higher quality part with a better smoother finish.  But they feel the same because you will polish both parts during fitting.  You can get an oversized CGW part that you can fit to have an extremely short reset.  But, my one CZC installed disconnector feels as short as the CGW ones I've fit.  I think it really depends on tolerances.  FWIW, I typically buy and use CGW ones.  While I'm fitting short reset disconnectors, I typically throw in a CGW adjustable sear.  I need to install a disconnector and sear on the CZC customized 75 stainless I bought a few years back that my girlfriend shoots, into which CZC didn't install a disconnector.     

I've got both.  They are very similar in feel.  How they feel depends quite a bit on the fitting.  The CGW has only a single wing and seems to be a higher quality part with a better smoother finish.  But they feel the same because you will polish both parts during fitting.  You can get an oversized CGW part that you can fit to have an extremely short reset.  But, my one CZC installed disconnector feels as short as the CGW ones I've fit.  I think it really depends on tolerances.  FWIW, I typically buy and use CGW ones.  While I'm fitting short reset disconnectors, I typically throw in a CGW adjustable sear.  I need to install a disconnector and sear on the CZC customized 75 stainless I bought a few years back that my girlfriend shoots, into which CZC didn't install a disconnector.     

Is it the T3 disconnector from CGW that is used for shortest reset on the Shadow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Mercs said:

Is it the T3 disconnector from CGW that is used for shortest reset on the Shadow?

Yes and it requires hard fitting. If you’re going to install it, I would highly recommend getting the adjustable sear also. By the way, the T1 is a drop in but sometimes requires a little bit of fitting.

Yes and it requires hard fitting. If you’re going to install it, I would highly recommend getting the adjustable sear also. By the way, the T1 is a drop in but sometimes requires a little bit of fitting.

Thanks I’m going to try to fit it myself and fit the sear also. Maybe overambitious, but I’ll let you know how it goes

3 hours ago, Mercs said:

Thanks I’m going to try to fit it myself and fit the sear also. Maybe overambitious, but I’ll let you know how it goes

Cool. Just give CGW a ring if you have any questions regarding the disco and sear.

Cool. Just give CGW a ring if you have any questions regarding the disco and sear.

I decided to wait for the RRK-3 with the new disco for the Shadow to be released (next couple weeks?) and then I’m gonna do everything at once. By then I should have at least 500 rounds through the gun in stock form.

To be honest.. aren't you all talking about the shortest take up or slack. Not the reset.

The reset is determined by the sear leg and triggerbar geometry. The disco only limits the take up or slack.

I have a CZC Accu that I'm comparing this to.  I recently installed the CGW pro package into an OEM shadow I found in the classifieds here using the T3 disconnector and adjustable sear. With matching spring weights in both, the only difference I could feel is the crispness of SA pull. It's barely perceptible, but there. The reset length seems to be exactly the same length. I figured it would never be an issue because I can't feel crap when pulling SA in matches.

The confusion here is not uncommon from what i have seen. Some of the part names can be misleading. They call them "short reset discos" because they only work with CZs that already have short resets. For contrast if you installed a short reset disco in a stock CZ with the FPB intact, the pistol would not reset in SA.

I can confirm that the disconector in general dose not directly effect the Single Action reset distance in a CZ 75 variant. Certain disconectors can reduce the SA pre-travle over a stock config, like the Pre-B, CGW T-3.

In a non FPB CZ, the reset distance in SA is a product of the trigger travel required to allow the sear to reset when you let the trigger out. With a fitted disco the trigger can be made to stop right after the reset but it will not reduce the reset distance.

To address OPs question, each CZ is a little different.  In some cases you can even drop in (without fitting) a CGW T-3 disco and have it function. So to some degree the answer to your question is going to depend on the specific CZ pistol. The T-3 comes with the asset of being oversized so it will allow greater pre-travle reduction in a greater number of CZs.

For clarity, here is a picture of a T-3 that i fitted to one of my CZs a while back. The pre-travle fitting area is highlighted. As you remove material from the highlighted area you increase the Pre-travle. The thicker the disco is the less SA Pre-Travel there will be. Too thick and the disco will not allow the trigger bar far enough forward to slip under the foot of the sear and the action will not reset. The goal is to leave the disco as thick as possible while still allowing enough trigger bar travel for a consistent reset.

kknLE2P.jpg

Edited by Tok36

On 5/8/2018 at 5:35 PM, Tok36 said:

The confusion here is not uncommon from what i have seen. Some of the part names can be misleading. They call them "short reset discos" because they only work with CZs that already have short resets. For contrast if you installed a short reset disco in a stock CZ with the FPB intact, the pistol would not reset in SA.

What would already having a short reset mean? 

Basically I'm just trying to understand the difference between my "standard" Shadow custom and the 91030 with the short reset.

3 hours ago, vnboileau said:

What would already having a short reset mean? 

Basically I'm just trying to understand the difference between my "standard" Shadow custom and the 91030 with the short reset.

To my knowledge the difference would be in the pre-travle/SA take up. The pistol with the short reset disco will have a shorter pre-travle. The actual reset point of both models should be comparable. CZ Shadows and other non Firng Pin Block models (85c, Shadowline) have the shortest resets generally available.

For perspective, a factory stock SP-01 with the FPB intact has a standard reset. If you remove the FPB parts from this pistol the reset will be reduced into the range of a Shadow. When you reduce the reset distance you increase the per-travle. This is where the short reset discos come into play, they reduce the pre-travle or overall SA trigger travel.

Here is a video. This is an example of the potential difference between a CGW T-3 hand fit disco and a Pre-B disco. The difference is quite small, some might even say insignificant in actual use but this dose tend to be a subjective topic. T-3 disco is first, Pre-B is second.

Edited by Tok36

• 2 years later...