Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Old vs New Mec-Gar Mags CZ 75 SP01/Shadow 2

Hutch906

Hey Everyone,

I am new to the forum and am curious if anyone has noticed what I am currently a little annoyed by. I spent some time dry firing and handling a friend's SP01 and recently got a shadow 2. The front lip of the magazines are different, and I wouldn't say in a good way. The new mec-gar's have a lip in the front that blocks the 2nd round, which all mags do, except now there is a cut down behind the lip (similar to my XDM) which is just big enough to catch the front of the magwell and botch a reload. This is in comparison to the flat lip on the old version of the mag. Just curious on everyone's thoughts or if anyone has done anything to try to remedy it. I've thought about cutting the lip, but then I may run into issues with the 2nd round slipping too far forward or jams.  

Thanks in advance. 

mag compare.PNG

Are they both the factory mags? 

The mag on the left looks like a cz mag to me and not a mecgar. If they came with you're friends sp01 then they're probably CZ.

I think shadow2 is the first to come with mecgar from the factory? 

(Also I've only bought aftermarket mecgar so if they are now different I won't have a good comparison since I dont have a shadow 2)

Edited by Fantom919

Thanks for the info. Yeah I’m assuming his are factory. Looks like it might be worth finding some used mags. I also bought aftermarket mec gar too for some spares. The only difference is the factory came with holes on the opposite side for .40’s. I rough measured the magwells last night too and the sp01 was bigger, which I guess is kind of interesting. 

Here’s a picture of my mags for the Shadow 2.

The two left most mags are factory CZ while the two on the right are after market MecGar mags I bought from Greg cote. Aside from the “9mm” and “15” written on the mags, they are all identical. 

1_AE8319_F-3317-404_D-_B9_F1-_B0601_B5_F

From what I have experienced, the CZ mags dont have the lip, the Mec-Gars do.  And yes the M-G mag front lip will catch the grip.  Just another reason to dryfire more.  

the MecGar mags are the new factory mag, that's what S2s and Shadows are shipping with for the most part. The only difference being the stamping on them and possibly the witness holes. although most of my MecGars have the same witness holes as the CZ branded ones (made by MecGar).

If there is a round in the mag I don't know how you're going to catch the front lip during a reload, in dryfire sure, but not with loaded mags. 
The new MecGar mags (well they are a 4 or 5 years old now at least) are a far far superior mag to the old CZ ones, better metal, better built and for us poor Canadians, the 10 round mag is even more better as it's full metal all the way to the baseplate instead of 1/3 plastic at the bottom. Look at the rear of the mag and see how it's a semi-spherical cut instead of the rectangular cut of the old mags, no more cracking of feed lips like the old thin metal mags did. I've abused the living crap out of my mags and they just need the lips smacked back in now and then due to dropping them on concrete floors at my club. My match mags have never had a problem though as they only get dumped on dirt and grass at matches. Even a set of mags I have that I'd misplaced and the springs are all rusty, work just fine (note, when in salty areas it's a good idea to remember to clean your mags before you put them away). 

Yup, only differences were the additional witness holes on the Mecgar and the stamping of “9mm” and “15” like I noted on the picture I posted earlier. I like the AFC coating on the new magazines and both factory and after market mecgars have this AFC coating.