Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jp Rifle, Or Just Add Jp Parts?

tpe187

Hello,

I have been looking at getting a JP CTR-02. I looked at all the different parts they use and if I were to purchase all the parts, minus the upper and lower, I would come out at about $1500. That means I'm paying about $1000 for the assembly and upper and lower reciever.

I have a Rock River carbine and the tools needed to change everything out, so I'm wondering if just getting the parts is a better way to go. Is the CTR Reciever that much better than stock AR parts?

I'm interested in all opinions. I would really like to hear from those that have the CTR-02. Has anyone just added the parts? My budget allows for the purchase, but if it won't make much of a difference, I'll just build it myself. Thanks

Put a full-on JP upper on any quality lower and put a JP trigger in the lower. Done!

The main reason for a JP is the upper as a whole and the trigger, the lower does not make the JP. If you add up the cost of a complete upper, add a lower, a trigger, a stock and a nice set of grips you really are at the price of the CTR. Your math is not quite right there.

--

Regards,

I just went through this, barrel kit $500 (any comp, any length and any weight), handguard $150.00, low mass SS operating system $200.00, new mill spec upper $100 for a total of $950, up on my Olympic lower which already has a JP trigger. Excellent rifle, I love it!

That said JP does have a very cool upper that has an interference fit with the barrel for a rock solid attachment. The lower is very nice with the built-in magwell and extra machining for apparence. So from that aspect they are much better than anybody elses which are basically just mil-spec copies.

I've spent the last four months or so parting together a 20" HB M15 using JP parts. In the end, I may well end up spending as much or more than if I'd have had JP build an upper. While that doesn't make good $ sense, I really enjoy doing the work on the rifle and seeing the differences that each addition makes. Granted, JP is going to be better at building rifles than I'll ever be, but I'm learning a great deal and having a lot of fun with the process.

JP's instructions are excellent, their parts are second to none, and they're available. If you're the sort who likes to work on your firearms I'd tell you to part it together. If you're not, have them build you an upper. As others have intoned, get the trigger for your lower, you won't regret it.

If you want to chat about it, feel free to contact me directly.

Brian