Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark 7 or auto drive 1050 people what upgrades have you made?

Loving my Mark 7 autodrive 1050

I load 9mm minor only at 2100rnds an hour

Runs like a top

I only have 15k rounds and did my first cleaning on my setup.

I have a FFB shellplate havent installed it yet. Loading minor, not having tipping bullets I dont wanna fix a problem I dont have, so havent swapped shell plates yet.

I installed the Level 10 cam and case feed roller.

Level 10 makes a bunch of interesting stuff as I am sure other companies do. They have a larger spring and it appears a spring elimination kit. Anyone have any experience with either with a Mark 7?

Is this worth doing?

Anyone with more experience with a Mark 7 recommend and after market parts that should be used when running the 1050 with an auto drive at the rate the autodrives run?  Basically looking to replace parts before they will be in issue.

Thanks in advance

Edited by 2ndSupporter

I have the spring elimination kit. Seems to run a bit smoother. 

Not really any other mods i dont think apart from a cable tie that spans from the bullet drop to seating die. This stops any movement in the case which helps with bullet topple. 

I was getting it bad loading 357 sig. Not so much in 9mm. 

1. Level 10 Case Feeder Cam and Case Feeder Roller
  2. Level 10 Spring Elimination kit
  3. FFB shell plate
  4. shell plate bearing kit (can't remember supplier)
  5. Mr. Bullet Feeder powder funnel
  6. I've taken 0.050" off the bottom of the swager backup feature on the Dillon combination expander/swager die.

I now adjust the shell plate to get the smoothest possible transition of the empty case into the shell plate.  This might be a bit under the 0.015" that FFB specs.  The Spring Elimination kit probably isn't necessary, but does smooth things out a bit.  The Mr. BF PTX works very well on some bullet base profiles (I load 9mm only); the darn Acme 115gr bullets were very troublesome to seat without toppling until I changed out the Dillon PTX.  The 0.050" taken off the backup feature did really help; as discussed elsewhere that same dies is used for both 9mm and 38 Super, but is really designed for the later.

OP didn't mention his configuration, but as discussed in many, many post I wouldn't run this thing without the bullet sensor.  I've only had a few ringers, but the swage sensor certainly saves a lot of fix-it time when it's needed.

The spring elimination and bearing kits really do smooth out the operation of the 1050.

Two things I haven't seen mentioned yet that I have found really handy; Level10 Innovations Ammo Bin Bracket Support (a bin full of 1,000+ pieces of 9mm is heavy) and Inline Fabrications case feed stop (so much easier than jamming a dummy 9mm round in when clearing a jam or performing maintenance).

Oh, and bin dams, lots of extra bins and dams.

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's something else:

I've had an occasional problem with cases toppling moving from the shuttle to station 1.  I always thought the centrifugal "force" caused the cases to ride the outer edge of the casting with some defective cases actually able to fall over.  Turns out that isn't the case at all.  The design of the shuttle is the actual culprit possible aided by some brands of cases; The slot in the shuttle if "square", front a back edges parallel.  Since the shell plate obviously has to move before the shuttle retracts the case is bumped by the r/h corner of the outer case shuttle wall causes the case to wobble.  

I provided some relief at the outer edge and the cases now travel smoothly from case feeder to station 1 (or is that station 1 to station 2?).  Ideally, there is no reason for the corner of the shuttle to ever come in contact with a case, but at manual operation speeds I don't think I'd every notice.  At Mark 7 speeds small quirks in the design can create problems.

Here's something else:
I've had an occasional problem with cases toppling moving from the shuttle to station 1.  I always thought the centrifugal "force" caused the cases to ride the outer edge of the casting with some defective cases actually able to fall over.  Turns out that isn't the case at all.  The design of the shuttle is the actual culprit possible aided by some brands of cases; The slot in the shuttle if "square", front a back edges parallel.  Since the shell plate obviously has to move before the shuttle retracts the case is bumped by the r/h corner of the outer case shuttle wall causes the case to wobble.  

I provided some relief at the outer edge and the cases now travel smoothly from case feeder to station 1 (or is that station 1 to station 2?).  Ideally, there is no reason for the corner of the shuttle to ever come in contact with a case, but at manual operation speeds I don't think I'd every notice.  At Mark 7 speeds small quirks in the design can create problems.

Not sure I follow entirely. Can you toss up a couple of pictures?

Thanks,

M

I can probably go out to my reloading room this afternoon.  Watch what happens to the case as the shell plate rotates and you'll see it hit that corner of the shuttle and get bumped toward the opening in the shell plate slot.  That corner doesn't serve any useful purpose in engaging and placing the case so rounding if off only serves to reduce or eliminate the shuttle hitting the case as the shell plate starts its rotation.

The good news: seems to have really helped and I suspect will have eliminated the problem which manifests at high speed.

The bad news: I was staring at the shell plate so hard trying to see what was going on that I forgot to arm my bullet sensor and dumped 1/2 dozen cases into my completed round bin.

Awesome scoop!!

Thanks all!!!

I am gonna go with the spring elimination just because lol..

I am running all Redding dies and a mbf expander with 147rn extremes, minor.

Redding decapper I think is a must, you can swap out broken pins effortlessly.

No complaints or issues, just looking to stay ahead of the curve. Loading minor not having topple issues so I am not gonna mess with the plate or bearing kit but I do have them on hand.

One issue I did come across was my primer seating adjustment was backing itself out I imagine from vibration. I was able to put an allen key in it, wedge it against the decapper die and zip tie it to the case feed ramp that mounts to the turret. This waw the primer depth screw cannot move in either direction.

I am gonna go with the 1911 spring on the case shuttle mod. I do get the occasional failure to insert for some reason.

I agree the bullet sensor is a Must. Split cases or Makarov cases generally dont result in a bullet drop so get caught there.

I used to use a egw U die before going to the 1050 auto/ I may go back to it because I am convinced I had a much lower reject rate when chamber gauging with it, although my reject rate isnt out of control but I think it was lower on my 650 with the U die.

When someone comes up with a primer loading system like on the evolution I would be all about buying that. Even with the tube filler, thats my least favorite part still..

On 4/20/2018 at 2:32 PM, DesertTortoise said:

I haven't  tried larger grips, but I like the arched mainspring housing on my Dawson ice magwell. Makes it the gun fit my hand a lot better

On 4/20/2018 at 4:29 AM, Want2BS8ed said:

Not sure I follow entirely. Can you toss up a couple of pictures?

Thanks,

M

If you look at the first picture you can see the radius that I created on the shuttle edge  The second picture shows the shell plate rotating with just the slightest contact with the case.  Looks like I can file a bit more off, but the cases now move to station 1 without the slightest bobble.  The price was certainly right.

Case Shuttle 1.jpg

Case Shuttle 2.jpg

The Inline Fabrications case shuttle "hold back" is a typically great piece of gear from Dan.  so much better than the versions that snap over the cam roller.  A must have.

59 minutes ago, RickT said:

The Inline Fabrications case shuttle "hold back" is a typically great piece of gear from Dan.  so much better than the versions that snap over the cam roller.  A must have.

Super cheap alternative:

IMG_5616.jpg

Yeah sometimes simple is better. A lot of modifications that are sold are solutions in search of a problem.

I suggest polishing the powder dropper and powder funnel with jewelers polish to make drops more consistent. Also, it helps to ground the press (like a subwoofer). Just fasten a piece of cooper wire to the press and attach it the the screw holding a nearby outlet plate in place and that will eliminate static buildup.

I do recommend a shell bearing kit (including replacement detent ball) for both the 1050 and 650.

I also have the Level 10 Spring Elimination kit and that seems to smooth it out. 

A light kit is a great addition as well.

On 4/27/2018 at 5:05 PM, jmaples71 said:

IMG_5615.jpg.5a23c973ea1a6f379242da6328fb642a.jpg

If you don't mind losing the ability to remove a case at the bulletfeed/powdercheck position, run the zap straps all the way from after the powder station to the seat/feed station, also, regardless of leaving it the way you set it up, or making it the way I suggested, put a cut piece of strap in between the strap and the frame of the 1050, on the inside edge. This makes it even tighter and less likely to allow a case to wobble. This is for 9mm too, not sure how that would work with other calibres.

7 hours ago, slavex said:

If you don't mind losing the ability to remove a case at the bulletfeed/powdercheck position, run the zap straps all the way from after the powder station to the seat/feed station, also, regardless of leaving it the way you set it up, or making it the way I suggested, put a cut piece of strap in between the strap and the frame of the 1050, on the inside edge. This makes it even tighter and less likely to allow a case to wobble. This is for 9mm too, not sure how that would work with other calibres.

That's a great idea! I'll give it a whirl next time I do a run.