Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking About Shootin' A Beretta

down0

I am seriously considering shooting a Beretta Vertec at the Nationals this year. I have shot Glocks in ESP, SSP and CDP over the years, and frankly, I am darn tired of the infamous Glock trigger. I am not trying to start a Glock-bashing thread. I like Glocks. I carry Glocks. I just think I have gone as far as I can with the gun in competition. Any thoughts on the Vertec? Anyone shoot one? I am not real enamored of the grip-to-frame angle, and the sights seem, well, tall to me. Any good mods that helps it shoot better but keeps it ESP legal? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Chuck

I'm using a V96 in USPSA, not exactly what you're looking for...

I think David Olhasso still shoots a Vertec 96.

He has a number of mods to his, he might post it here.

From an old post by him:

For IDPA, I use the belt slide holster with a Tek-Lok

I shoot the same in Production, they to need trigger work the day you get them, I added a stainless guiderod, and changed the rear site. Ernest Langdon used to do them all, but he's stopped now, not sure who's picked it up.

I had a hard time finding a holster for mine, until I saw David in a Front Sight article, wearing a BladeTech DOH (which isn't IDPA legal).

I think it comes down with what your comfortable with. I have a Glock 35 too, and maybe I'll try that for Production instead someday. The long trigger travel and reset on the Beretta can drive people crazy.

Another one to look at would be the CZs.

I am still shooting 92 & 96 Vertecs and will be shooting one (probably a 96) in SSP at this years Nats.

For my vertecs I:

a) change the sights to a fiber front & custom rear

B) do a really cool trigger job

c) replace the plastic trigger that is now shipping with an original steel trigger

d) replace the hammer with a factory Elite 2 hammer.

For ESP I would also:

a) Replace the guide rod with a heavy steel one

B) Add a magwell (If I have them available by nats)

c) Replace the mag release with an extended one.

For a holster, the BladeTech belt holster with a tek-lok should be legal (unless you have a weird body configuraiton)

For mag holders, I like the cheap mitch rosen leather holders available from brownells.

I am using a 92 Vertec in USPSA Production but I am not happy with the big change in trigger location between SA & DA. I have tried using different main springs & shortened main springs but it really really needs a good trigger job to be competative. I would recommend that you shoot a Charlie Vanek trigger job in a Glock before switching to something like the Beretta. I have a Glock 21 with a lighter/smoother trigger than my 1911.

I like the 1911 grip angle so I am switching to an XD for Production next year but with a Canyon Creek trigger job. :D

My buddy shoots the Vertec too so I get to see them in action a lot. The most critical item needed to get a 92 series gun in competition shape is a good trigger job. With work these guns can have triggers in the 5-6 lb DA and 3-4 SA range. As noted due to the trigger design the trigger will break at a different spot in the travel in DA than in SA. My buddy doesn't seem to have a problem with this - it's all in what you get used to.

In addition to Dave's suggestions, I think the newer 92 series guns have a plastic magazine release. I would also replace that with one of the steel magazine releases.

For ESP I would also bevel the sharp area in front of the magazine release near the intersection of the trigger guard and the frame. Beretta seems to think sharp edges are signs of quality, but this area can really get you on reloads.

Now that LTT is no longer doing Beretta trigger jobs, I'm not sure who is doing them commercially. Maybe Dave can speak to that. BTW, with most competition DA/SA trigger jobs a reduced power hammer spring is going to be installed. Therefore if you don't use them already you may want to think about using Federal primers for "insurance".

----

On the flip side I don't think there is anything special about the 92 series trigger that can't be done to a Glock trigger. It may be simpler and less expensive to send your Glock to a trigger Pro. Folks really seem to like the Charlie Vanek triggers from http://www.vanekcustom.com/ At 1.5 lbs and with enough umph to set off small rifle primers there is a lot to like. There is a lot of info on these triggers in the Glock forum of this site.

As long as the gun fits your hand OK there is nothing limiting about the Glock platform in IDPA.

I shoot a 92, and I love it.

Some things you might want to consider:

The Vertec comes with a shorter trigger. It is designed for smaller hands. If you find this to small, a standard sized trigger would be good.

LTT had a great holster on the market before they closed shop. A very similar one can be found at Wilson Combat. (Tactical Assualt Holster)

The E2 Mag bumpers and extended mag releases are awesome. You can get them from beretta.

A Trigger job is pretty much a must. I think most people go with a 16lbs hammer spring.

The Stock Vertec sights do shoot to a different POA then the Brigadeer sights do. They hit a bit higher up on the target. If you don't like that you may need a new front.

Later,

Ben Stoeger

I do a really cool internal overtravel stop which has the same effect as a speedbump trigger. One of the tricks of a good trigger on a DA/SA gun is to have the DA & SA break at the same point which I do tune my Vertecs to do.

Yes you can still get the steel triggers from Beretta.

Yes I do have a stock of certain Beretta Parts for sale -- including steel triggers

Yes I can do a great trigger job on your Beretta.

No I don't have a web site up yet.

Yes you can can contact me with any questions at dave@olhasso.com.

Dave's trigger jobs are simply awesome. I didn't say anything before because I wasn't sure if he did them for anyone else. His internal work keeps the guns legal for USPSA Production too in case you want to shoot both sports.

I think Mayo was just teasing Dave O. for wearing a nylon gun cover on his gun at the 2004 IDPA Nats. Most IDPA shooters had never seen one before and it generated quite a few strange looks. They are more common in USPSA.

• 2 weeks later...