Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TACCOM MG vs Sport Series

It seems like everyone is slowly moving towards magnetic shotshell holders... The cost is quite steep compared to TACCOM's standard Sport offering though. I know a lot of people are going to say try a bunch of different rigs, but it really makes no difference to me as ergonomically they are quite similar (and once I buy a rig, I'm going to stick with it unless some radical new tech comes out).

I know some people said to always get a physical retention caddy for buck shot due to the adjustment limitations of MG, but can anyone compare how different the pull is on the MG? Based on Youtube videos, it looks like MG aids in quad loading quite a bit due to ease of pulling the shells, but it's basically double the price. I am pretty set on the TACCOM stuff since I've read about Invictus Practicals Ving and dropping shells sometimes.

The release on the MG series is great. If you set them up properly the retention is more than adequate. I almost never drop any shells unless I directly run them into something which will cause any caddy to drop its payload early. Running at full speed, jumping out of trucks, going prone, no problem. 

I couldn't really quadload well if at all before I tried the taccom MG series because the pull was too stiff and the shells always got cockeyed in my hand on the draw. I use nothing but taccom MG caddies and have for the past two years. I absolutely love mine. 

14 minutes ago, ecn515 said:

The release on the MG series is great. If you set them up properly the retention is more than adequate. I almost never drop any shells unless I directly run them into something which will cause any caddy to drop its payload early. Running at full speed, jumping out of trucks, going prone, no problem. 

I couldn't really quadload well if at all before I tried the taccom MG series because the pull was too stiff and the shells always got cockeyed in my hand on the draw. I use nothing but taccom MG caddies and have for the past two years. I absolutely love mine. 

Awesome, that's what I've been reading. I don't think I can afford to get a full rig though so I might have to start off with just an 8 pack. Luckily I don't believe our stages are shotgun heavy.

On 4/11/2018 at 9:26 AM, SlvrDragon50 said:

Just found out the MGs aren't being produced anymore, and King caddies are just too expensive for me :(

Back to the drawing board.

Let me know if you find something that is faster than the plastic Taccom quads and also a reasonable price.

I have both the Taccom MG and the Sport. I honestly prefer the Sport. They both work great. If I was to do it over again I would not buy the MG and just used the Sport. So if you decided to go that route I do not think you will regret it. I mostly use an De Turk chest rig I got off of here used. So having some experience with all 3.....The sport series will not hold you back. 

Edited by pfcchambers
Correction

10 minutes ago, pfcchambers said:

I have both the Taccom MG and the Sport. I honestly prefer the Sport. They both work great. If I was to do it over again I would not buy the MG and just used the Sport. So if you decided to go that route I do not think you will regret it. I mostly use an De Turk chest rig I got off of here used. So having some experience with all 3.....The sport series will hold you back. 

You mean...WON'T hold you back...?

1 hour ago, pfcchambers said:

I have both the Taccom MG and the Sport. I honestly prefer the Sport. They both work great. If I was to do it over again I would not buy the MG and just used the Sport. So if you decided to go that route I do not think you will regret it. I mostly use an De Turk chest rig I got off of here used. So having some experience with all 3.....The sport series will hold you back. 

Why do you prefer the sport? I ended up buying the odler 12up MG.

The sport for me worked every bit as good as the MG. It also held the shells in better in my opinion. I did loose shells in the MG more often. They both work great. I was just meaning I would not hesitate to buy the sport. I bought them at the same time. Had I tried them separately I would have chosen the sport for the cost savings and simplicity. 

6 hours ago, pfcchambers said:

The sport for me worked every bit as good as the MG. It also held the shells in better in my opinion. I did loose shells in the MG more often. They both work great. I was just meaning I would not hesitate to buy the sport. I bought them at the same time. Had I tried them separately I would have chosen the sport for the cost savings and simplicity. 

Gotcha thanks. Well, I only ordered a single 12up caddy so I can always transition to other systems if necessary. I'm honestly surprised to hear people say the MGs retain really well (not to knock any design, it just doesn't make sense to me how it is easier to pull but still retains well when I've heard other physical retention systems still losing shells.

Oh well, maybe I'll get lucky! I am considering going chest rigs since it sounds easier to load from than a belt rig but I'll just have to try it out.

Edited by SlvrDragon50

5 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

Too bad you weren't looking for the MG's when everyone I shoot with tried them and immediately sold them at a loss. If I remember correctly even the Taccom sponsored guy wasn't a fan.

Hah, I wish I saw more reviews of the MGs... all the Youtube reviews were so positive!

Yeah that's why I don't put a lot of stock in YT reviews. I'm lucky to shoot regularly with a group of people who like to try new products, so I usually get to play with things and see it in action before I make any purchases.

4 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

Yeah that's why I don't put a lot of stock in YT reviews. I'm lucky to shoot regularly with a group of people who like to try new products, so I usually get to play with things and see it in action before I make any purchases.

Any chance you shoot at Danville w/ the Outlaw 3 gun? I just joined the club there and plan to start my 3 gun experience there.

I might just end up getting IP caddies after all...

Never been to a Danville match, it's about 1.5 hours further than I'm willing to travel to a club match. I see you're not too far from Chillicothe, there's some decent guys that shoot there, might be worth your while to try the 3 gun matches there too.

Haha, I hear ya. Only a 30 minute drive for me. I really should go to Chili, but I just don't want to invest that much time into a match yet (focusing on USPSA). I mostly just shoot at Bloomington and Danville. I'm very pleased with the USPSA matches so far.

I'll report back later this week when I get my dummy shells in. I don't have a shotgun to practice loading, but I can practice grabbing and knocking the shells out!

f5de2d9bce0e52c39c660cdcb8f74023.jpg

Got my 12up in. Seems to work well enough. The shells do get knocked loose if the caddy takes a direct impact. Otherwise, jumping up and down and running, the shells seem to stay in place.

Not sure if the shells would get knocked loose on direct impact if it’s in say IPs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...