Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

95gr at 1500 fps plus...

I have been shooting 95's at 1400 for over a month.  I have been using WSF which is a little faster than 3N37, but it works the comp and shoots soft and flat.  

IMO, it is very rarely an advantage to shoot a higher power factor than necessary, unless the gun cannot be tuned to shoot that PF.  Maybe a gas operated Sig as an example.

The load I've been trying is 7.2 grains of 3N37.   From a 16", getting an average of 1540 fps with a SD of 9.  It is accurate at 50 yds and the gun runs flat with mininal dot bounce. 

Edited by LtdShooter
21 hours ago, L9X25 said:

I have been shooting 95's at 1400 for over a month.  I have been using WSF which is a little faster than 3N37, but it works the comp and shoots soft and flat.  

IMO, it is very rarely an advantage to shoot a higher power factor than necessary, unless the gun cannot be tuned to shoot that PF.  Maybe a gas operated Sig as an example.

You having to load those pretty short L9?

3 hours ago, LtdShooter said:

Using the JP Comp on their barrel.

Same setup as you,  what are your thoughts on the recoil/dot movement?    Any other conventional loads you have tried to compare them to?

The projectiles I use (Precision Delta) are flat points, they look like a common 125 but the tip is flattened out.  Because of the flat point, the projectile is pretty short and I have to load them at ~1.10" so that they have enough engagement with the case.  On a standard 115, I load at ~1.160".  My gun seeming feeds anything and these have been feeding 100%. 

Edited by L9X25
1 hour ago, L9X25 said:

The projectiles I use (Precision Delta) are flat points, they look like a common 125 but the tip is flattened out.  Because of the flat point, the projectile is pretty short and I have to load them at ~1.10" so that they have enough engagement with the case.  On a standard 115, I load at ~1.160".  My gun seeming feeds anything and these have been feeding 100%. 

That's what I figured.  I may get a few hundred to experiment with for giggles.

I'm using Armscorp 95 gr 380 bullets as I can get them at a decent deal but they are short!!  OAL is 1.085 get enough enough engagement with the case.   Might try the PD bullets noted above.   

In the AR,  I'm using a JP Bolt and their Gen2 SCS with 3 tungsten weights.  Runs flawlessly but case ejection is pretty stout making me think I could add  another tungsten weight or increase the spring rate.   

Edited by LtdShooter

As for recoil it is sharp compared to 115s and up but pretty much straight back.   I kind of liken it to running a open gun vs limited - no roll just a fast poke to the rear and as noted above pretty minimal dot bounce.

40 minutes ago, LtdShooter said:

I'm using Armscorp 95 gr 380 bullets as I can get them at a decent deal but they are short!!  OAL is 1.085 get enough enough engagement with the case.   Might try the PD bullets noted above.   

@LtdShooter The PD bullets are ~.450" OAL and they can vary by a few .001" from projectile to projectile.   I have always noticed more variation with the PD projectiles, when compared to Zero, but I have never noticed a difference in accuracy downrange.  If the prices with shipping were the same, I would buy Zero but you can usually get a better deal shipped on the PD.

In this case, Zero does not seem to make anything lighter than 115gr.

My gun feeds them fine at 1.100", and none have fallen off,  so I don't see the need for me to push the envelope.   I had some Remington 95's that were pure round nose (like the 130's) but they were even shorter than the PD and have less bearing surface.  The PD flat point allows them to have more bearing surface and still make weight.

Understand about pushing the envelope...  I took crack at the data with some reading and input.   Thinking about backing it down to 1400+ as you are noting enough gas to work the comp and anything more is not really needed.