Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington 700 In .223.

Platinum

I couldn't decide which thread to jump in on, but I know I'm in the right forum.

I am considering a Remington 700 chambered in .223 with a 24" barrel.

My question is will the 1 in 12" twist limit how I can use it? I intend to shoot it mainly at 300 yards, but have access to 500. My reference with 1 in 12 in .223 says that 55 grain bullets are my best (only?) option for best results.

Are there others that will let me use it effectively (on paper) at 500 yards.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Joe

VA

It will shoot 55's to 300 yards and hang with the bigger dawgs. Once you are beyond 350-400 yards, the 55 is gonna drift and you will want to be using a VLD type heavy .223 projectile. The 1:12 will not work with anything heavier than 55er's.

If you want to compete in MOR/Long Range competitions something larger than .223 and capable of shooting the optimum bullet in it's caliber will be needed.

.223's with heavy bullets are really only competitive in NRA High Power rifle shooting where you are punching paper, not knocking over steel way out there.

--

Regards,

Most of the VLD bullets take a minimum of 1-7 or 1-8 twist to stabilize... Check out Berger Bullets website.. There is also some really good info over on benchrest.com 6br.com or accuratereloading.com.

I use to hunt a lot of ground squirrels with my .223 and have hit them out as far as 400 yards. I try and keep it under 300 especially if there is any kind of wind.... A 6mm bullet or larger will get you out to 500 or 600 yards.... Look at a 6xc or 6x250 if you want to form cases.. If not a .308 or a 6mm remington can be had box stock from remingotn....

Double check with Remington on the twist rate. Many of the newer guns - especially those labeled "tactical", or some such, have faster twists.

Of course, the faster twist limits the lightweight bullets in many instances.

Guy

Gents,

Thanks for your input. No, this rifle is not for match use, just for punching holes in paper. I'm working on a .308 for 500 yard steel shooting.

Your comments have confirmed what I thought about the twist ,bullet weight and effective range. Now all I need is a gonzo spotting scope to see those .22 caliber holes at 300 yards.

Regards,

Joe

I would check to see what barrel twist you have. If it is a Rem 700 PSS I would say that it is a 1 x 9 twist. That twist would be OK for bullets like the 69,75 and maybe the 77 grn Sierra Match kings. I would use the 69 and 77 grn bullets for 300 yards and out. This caliber would be ok if you were shooting paper or steel that all you had to do was hit. If you have to knock it down at say 500 yards, then I would go with a bigger caliber.

As I now read your post I would say that this caliber would be OK for punching paper. B)

I couldn't decide which thread to jump in on, but I know I'm in the right forum.

I am considering a Remington 700 chambered in .223 with a 24" barrel.

My question is will the 1 in 12" twist limit how I can use it? I intend to shoot it mainly at 300 yards, but have access to 500. My reference with 1 in 12 in .223 says that 55 grain bullets are my best (only?) option for best results.

Are there others that will let me use it effectively (on paper) at 500 yards.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Joe

VA

If the 700 PSS has a 1-9 twist it should shoot 77 grain Sierra MK. I have a CZ 527 Varmint with a 1-9 twist and it shoots the 77 grain great. You might want to look at the CZ as its a nice rifle and is alot lighter than the 700.

Sam

NC

I'd have to ditto srose the CZ 527 is a great rifle just make sure you get the one with the HS stock as its the only one with the 1 in 9 twist. I use the Berger 70 gr. VLD better BC than the 77 and I know they stabilize. Also have the advantage of detachable mags. and set trigger. Will take dogs out past 600 yds. Keith

If you have a 1:12 you may not be out of luck.

Remember that a bullets stabilization is based more on length than weight. But, usually the heavier a bullet is, the longer it is.

That being said, you can look for a heavier bullet that might not be so long. One of Sierra's 60 grainers is a little shorter and Hornady has one or two that might work as well.

My Reminton 700 with standard 1:12 barrel will stabilize a 62/63 with no problem. Just have to keep the velocity down in the sane area.