Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

165s for Major

Clint U66

I cast my own 165 grain bullets for .40 major.  While they are snappier than 180’s and 200’s I have tried (in different but similar guns), they are still softer than factory .40.  I like the way they shoot well enough and highly doubt they cause me to lose any stage time on the competition.  I push them using titegroup which is a fairly smoky combo.  The only way I would consider switching is if I was given a free 180-200 grain mold, but don’t see that happening.  I use a 2011 so 165 may very well be a bit snappy out of a plastic offering, just a guess.

165's for major in .40 is typically only in 6" guns for a fast slide velocity and quick return.  I use 165's for major loads in my lightened slide 6" STI but prefer 180/200 grs for my 5" guns. 

It depends on your gun I would guess...
Overheard an M class guy tell my C class friend that he switched to 165s in his tungsten sleeved/steel gripped gun and both loves it and feels a big difference.

I would assume the feeling in a g35 would be completely different.

If your a tinkerer there’s nothing wrong with buying a sample pack and testing out some loads/bill drills on an off weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started with 180s only because that was what you were 'supposed to use'.  165s shoot flatter and the sights comeback faster.  I tried 155s but my Limited gun didn't like them.  Recoil to the hand is sharper with the 165s, but not by enough to matter.