Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pierced primer

Hi guys I shot a match today with a fairly new set up and about 1/3 of the brass had pierced primers

The new parts I added are a faxon bolt and hyperfire 24e trigger with the heavy springs

my load make 135pf thru the pcc and is sub minor thru a pistol

one thing I did notice is the primers that weren’t pierced, the dent from the firing pin was quite deep

has anyone else experienced this

I just measured a couple of spare firing pins and their lengths are 2.653 inches each. Measure yours and see how it compares.

Or, more to the point, would be the tip at 0.130 inches long.

Edited by MikieM

My bolt/firing pins limit the protrusion of the pin to a pretty small amount.  It reminds me of a Glock pistol, where the pin bottoms out and the pin can only protrude a small amount.

I would also check the tip to see if there is a sharp tip.  If it is sharp, you should polish it to a rounded smooth point. 

On 3/25/2018 at 6:24 PM, MikieM said:

I just measured a couple of spare firing pins and their lengths are 2.653 inches each. Measure yours and see how it compares.

Or, more to the point, would be the tip at 0.130 inches long.

The faxon firing pin is 2.644 inches long and protruded .042 past the breech face

On 3/26/2018 at 2:12 AM, L9X25 said:

My bolt/firing pins limit the protrusion of the pin to a pretty small amount.  It reminds me of a Glock pistol, where the pin bottoms out and the pin can only protrude a small amount.

I would also check the tip to see if there is a sharp tip.  If it is sharp, you should polish it to a rounded smooth point. 

And I think we have the winner

i compared the faxon firing pin with my spare colt and the tip of the faxon firing pin was sharper than the colt, I rounded it off some and will test it this weekend

thanks for the help