Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Have any of you tried to come back to IPSC shooting after heart surgery? I've been at it for a while and really hate to give it up. I had surgery in August and am hopeful that I can resume shooting (including shotgun) this spring. If you've been through this, I'd like to know how it went for you. Thanks. -deke

Deke, I think that giving you advise on this case is up to a medical expert, instead of a shooter. No offense meant. (BTW, if you're just looking to share experiences with other shooters that went through HS, than you can just ignore my comment;)) Good luck.

I shoot IDPA with a gentleman who had heart surgery and he was back shooting in a few months. I don't remember exactly how long.

Shouldn't you be in better shape after you are healed than you were before surgery? I don't want to sound disrespectful but I just wondered.

Bill Nesbitt

I totally agree with asking your doctor. Be prepared to describe what you do. It depends on what was wrong. Some bypass(assuming that's what you had, see how it can be confusing) patients can go out and run a marathon. Some can't. My gut feeling is you can as it sounds like your Dr did not give you any specific warnings. Make an appointment and ask him. That way he will have some liability. :)

I work with several guys who had heart surgury, seems like most feel better afterwards. I would check with a real doctor about shotgun though especially in the early stages, that might stress something delicate ( like healing sutures ) keep healing and good luck.           Travis F.

Thanks guys. Yes, it was bypass, yes, I feel better, and no, I have no restrictions from my doctor. I just have some concerns about shooting and heavy recoil (like from SG slugs). Things feel pretty good, but I haven't had the chance to abuse myself with recoil either. I won't be shooting much until spring anyhow, as I am stuck here in beautiful Pittsburgh. DVC.-

-deke

Deke, I'm a bit apprehensive about influencing your decision, but would like to mention a fellow at our club who has had the bypass too.

Rex loves his shooting, I'd guess he's in his 70's, and  was first there anytime we had an IPSC match, (or working bee for that matter) shot 2 shotgun matches I'm aware of and spent alternate sundays fullbore (NRA) shooting at the club up the road. To me the guy is as inspiring as Robbie!

P.D.

Deke, if those are your concerns, why not start with some light calibers and build up to what you want? It's probably going to take some time, but I think this has everything to do with YOU feeling comfortable about shooting. I would take it easy and work it up. Just my 2 cents.

I appreciate all of your replies and encouragement. I will make sure the doc says it's okay to shoot the shotgun before I try it. The rest of the shooting shouldn't be a problem.

Spook,

You're right about trying the lighter loads first. I suppose I'll start shooting my AR first, as it doesn't recoil much. It makes sense. Thanks.

-deke

deke

My brother had his chest cracked open (that's what he called it), and his doctor wanted him to gradually return to activity.  Six months after surgery we were back in the woods for a elk hunt.  What the doctor was worried about was his chest.  The recoil of a 300 weatherby would have been a little much, so he had a muzzle brake added, and he found that worked well.  The doc told him that the hart would recover faster then the incision would.  Three years later you would never know that he had open hart surgery, unless he took his shirt off.  :)

Deke, I'm 56, had two heart attacks , last one this past September, and two open heart surgeries.I started back to shooting 3 gun three months after my last surgery. I started shooting pistol one month after my last heart attack. Most doctors tell you to "do what you feel like doing"; I felt like shooting! Best wishes to you for good health and good shooting.

I had open heart surgery(valve replacement) in mid September.  No bypasses.

I am 65.  I started shooting and competing in USPSA matches in early December, although I still don't run and gun.  I walk and gun.  Haven't tried a rifle or shotgun yet.  So far, I have had no ill effects.

My doctor told me that it will take six months to a year to completely recover, depending on your age and general health.   He told me that if it didn't hurt, do it.  If it hurts, quit.

The main thing that I have found is that I get tired a lot quicker now than I did before the surgery.

I also would advise you to talk to your doctor.

Good luck and good health.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it depends on your physical condition before you had the bypass/valve surgery.  If you were very physically active before you should be able to resume slowly the same activity as long as you start slowly.  Your sternum(breast bone) that has been sawed  will need to heal which may take 6-8 weeks as long as you don't do any heavy lifting, heavy work, etc... Once healed i'd go easy for another month or two.  Easier to heal over 2 months than take 6 mon.to a year.  Also a good idea to avoid dirty work that could infect your chest incision(this can get very nasty and could lead to you loosing that sternum due to an infection).   Heart surgery used to take 2-4 wks in the hospital till insurance companies changed that picture.  Average discharge is now 4-6 days from start to finish.   If you want to go to 3 gun then use 7 1/2 -8 shot game loads and low recoil slugs with a gas cycled shotgun and stay with 223 though some of these toys can get heavy.  It would probably be a better idea to get into a workout regimen first then transition to shooting when your at least 60-80% of normal.  Valve surgery with mechanical valves can limit the extent of the impact you can absorb over a period of a major match.  Have fun but stay safe, I avoid my physician as much as I can except for physicals.  Sorry this seems like a lecture but I would wish someone would share with me what they knew if they worked in heart surgery.  Don't forget also that drugs you may now be on will very much affect your endurance and physical limitations.  Hope you all have a speedy and uneventful recovery.  

Racine

i should have jumped in sooner.  i've have this really good friend, he had 5 bypasses, and a valve put in 2 years ago, almost  to the day.  he has been back shooting for a year now, and hasn't missed a beat (no pun intended), and he hasn't quit smoking either.  go figure.

lynn jones

(Edited by lynn jones at 8:19 pm on Jan. 29, 2003)