Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gunsmith? Local or mail off?

Wrathen

I was wondering what people’s thoughts are on having a local gunsmith do work vs mailing it off to “known” good smith. 

My local gunsmith hasnt ever worked on a 2011 but has done may trigger jobs in 1911 (though none I have tested). I was thinking about getting a EGW ignition kit and having him do it 

OR

Should I send it away to someone who does 2011s so I know I’ll be happy? I want it to end up 2.5-3lbs and smooth

If you trust your local Smith I'm pretty jealous of your options. Every time I walk in there with money to spend I end up walking back out with the money because they don't do any modifications for the games we play. I just get funny looks when I explain to the 3rd guy what I want done. 

Ya he is a pretty nice guy and even shoots IDPA but he just hasn’t worked on a 2012 before. So I’m a little hesitant. He said he would charge me $75 to do the trigger job if I supplied the parts

My "local" smith, in New York, installed a front sight for me, that blew off the gun

on the first stage of a match 250 miles from home   :ph34r:

He also told me that many modifications that I subsequently had done, were

not possible.    :ph34r:

Really depends on how good Your Local smith is - BTW, I also had problems with

a known smith who was 100 miles from home.

Here in Florida, there are a few smiths I've have success with, nearby (at my

local clubs).

Just depends on how lucky you get   :)   

On 3/19/2018 at 8:59 AM, kimberacp said:

no difference between the 2011 and 1911 

right, they use the same trigger bow, have the same frame width, have exactly the same frame dimensions, including sear spring notch.

thats sarcasm btw

If you decide to have it done by someone without a proven track record, don't be surprised if the results aren't what you expected.  Cleaning up the action on a typical 1911 is not the same as a competition trigger job.